Plugin Contributions

Default SEO question - posted here because no-one goes to 'Search Engines' forum

'Search Engines' forum has had Five (5) posts in 2019 !! (two are mine back in February) - it is pretty obvious only the bold go there, (to the abyss). That is why I am posting here where hundreds if not thousands will see it :)

Some advice needed please ...
    Question: Linking from a product page to an article summary [precis] on the Home page via an id="[article]" link VS linking directly to the separate article page (EZ Page) .... which is better for SEO?

situation is:
    Full article page sits at domain/article (EZ Page) ....
    Article precis is on home page (for SEO purposes, content, visitor engagement) with 'read more' link to above full article page ....
    Have used <h2 id="article">article name</h2> on article heading on home page ....
    In lieu of linking directly from the product page to the EZ page I am thinking of linking to Domain/#article from product page which will resolve to article summary on home page - (currently every product page has a contextual link to the article page (EZ page))

Will this be more beneficial for SEO, (linking to home page rather than an EZ page or would there be no difference at all? Would this signal to the crawlers that the home page is considered more important than the EZ page?

Zen Cart is a community of multiple thousands of webmasters, professional or amateur (like me) so I figure someone here has an educated opinion / experience with this.

I look forward to some opinions, cheers

p.s.
    I posted 2 questions in Search Engines forum in February - 45 views for one, 23 for the other - zero responses!! - the forum gets an average of 1 post per month. Some posts there relate to ZC link structure that can (repeat, can) have an effect of how Google sees a website.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: SEO question - posted here because no-one goes to 'Search Engines' forum

Maybe I am not understanding you well.... but I would think it bad to have the article at 2 url's on your website.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: SEO question - posted here because no-one goes to 'Search Engines' forum

Hello shrimp ... thank you for your response. The article on the home page is a precis or summary of the full article with a 'read more...' link at the bottom of the summary - there are two actually. The url's for the full articles rank in SERP's whereas the home page doesn't so I am trying to ascertain whether the segment link will benefit the ranking of the home page?? site is www.harmonyballpendant.com

cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by shags38; 21 May 2019 at 12:15 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    The article on the home page is a precis or summary of the full article with a 'read more...' link at the bottom of the summary - there are two actually. The url's for the full articles rank in SERP's whereas the home page doesn't so I am trying to ascertain whether the segment link will benefit the ranking of the home page??
    I would suggest reading up on html5 new article tag.. Also if space is limited I use a simple script to reduce lines, adds a read more link which unhide the full reading when clicked on, I think good content is more impotent.

Also, something to watch out for is .Spamdexing
    Dave
    Always forward thinking... Lost my mind!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by davewest View Post
    Also if space is limited I use a simple script to reduce lines, adds a read more link which unhide the full reading when clicked on ...
    Yes, I used to do it this way until I discovered the html5 <details> and <summary> tags.
    Simon

Plugin Contributions

Where did you get the favicon of the sun pendant on your "in store" only site? Very detailed.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shrimp-gumbo-mmmhhh View Post
    Where did you get the favicon of the sun pendant on your "in store" only site? Very detailed.
    Don't know what the OP used, but iconifier.net is a great tool.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for that tool