Plugin Contributions

Default Server IP address recorded instead of customers IP address

I have been using plugins such as Supertracker and Who is online to keep track of customer's visits for several years. It has been working fine. However, recently I noticed that the recorded IP address is no longer the customer's IP address but all of the IPs are the server's IP. I asked the hosting company for help but they did not see anything wrong on their side and "blamed" coding in zen-cart. Any idea what could be causing it?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Server IP address recorded instead of customers IP address

It's amazing how the hosting company blames the software that hasn't been altered.

Most likely the hosting company changed the PHP configuration, or introduced a firewall/proxy and/or the way the PHP stack is implemented.

I'll put the blame squarely back on them, since if you're still running Zen Cart v1.5.4 (which was released in 2014) then unless you've changed the code the "change" didn't come from Zen Cart.

One thing you could try is making a small change to include the update made in v1.5.5 to /includes/init_includes/init_file_db_names.php
    See line 28 here:
    https://github.com/zencart/zencart/b..._names.php#L28
    In fact, you could replace the whole file with the contents shown there.

That change was to accommodate some server proxy config situations. Who knows, maybe that's exactly what your host changed, even though the support desk doesn't know about it?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I replaced the file as you suggested. Unfortunately, it did not solve the issue.
    I recalled that the hosting company upgraded our php version to 7.1 in March (it was a misunderstanding, we did not ask them to do that), our site stopped working. They rolled it back to 5.4 but it seems that they overwrote something. I contacted the support again, they tried to figure it out but were not successful. They created a service ticket so hopefully their higher level support team will know how to fix it.
    Thank you for your help.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jarmilka View Post
    the recorded IP address is no longer the customer's IP address but all of the IPs are the server's IP
    Again, to be clear, that's because they're proxying the customer's traffic through multiple servers, and not serving the customer directly. They'll need to fix their proxy configuration for the IP address to pass through correctly.
    If you have a competent tech person on their end they can look at that same file I mentioned and see all the dozen ways Zen Cart attempts to figure out the proxied data using standard and non-standard configurations. Surely they can fix their configuration in a standard way.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

They managed to fix it finally today! Yay!
    Thank you for your help.