Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    1,259
    Plugin Contributions
    1

    Default Reviews page - relocate review text wrapper

    v 1.5.6b php 7.3 Responsive Classic template

    I need help please to move the review wrapper to under the product image on the review page - see image below.

    Many thanks in advance.
    cheers,
    MikeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Reviews  Harmony Necklace  Sterling Silver  Hearts Design Harmony Ball.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	18502
    Last edited by shags38; 14 Jun 2019 at 06:41 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    1,259
    Plugin Contributions
    1

    Default Re: Reviews page - relocate review text wrapper

    Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    v 1.5.6b php 7.3 Responsive Classic template

    I need help please to move the review wrapper to under the product image on the review page - see image below.

    Many thanks in advance.
    cheers,
    MikeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Reviews  Harmony Necklace  Sterling Silver  Hearts Design Harmony Ball.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	18502
    Anyone ??

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    RV... somewhere...
    Posts
    820
    Plugin Contributions
    12

    Default Re: Reviews page - relocate review text wrapper

    Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    Anyone ??
    Not a bad image, but no help!

    Some things I would do to trouble shoot a page.

    I would use the developer tools to see if all the closing tags in the right spot.. I would check my containers and see if my stacking order is correct. I would look at the css, check if alignment is correct. Looks like the gray bars are taking up space on both sides, why! I would look at removing them. Some times adding a background color or border to containers helps to see where they are and arrange them. Once aligned, remove the border/colors or work with them.
    Dave
    Working on a new project... MySite..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    1,259
    Plugin Contributions
    1

    Default Re: Reviews page - relocate review text wrapper

    Quote Originally Posted by davewest View Post
    Not a bad image, but no help!

    Some things I would do to trouble shoot a page.

    I would use the developer tools to see if all the closing tags in the right spot.. I would check my containers and see if my stacking order is correct. I would look at the css, check if alignment is correct. Looks like the gray bars are taking up space on both sides, why! I would look at removing them. Some times adding a background color or border to containers helps to see where they are and arrange them. Once aligned, remove the border/colors or work with them.
    G'day Dave - many thanks for your response. This is a brand new build so the reviews page is straight out of the box - I had played with css to try to correct it without luck however I will now follow all of your advice and then get back to you ... "persist, and ye will succeed".

    cheers,
    Mike

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    1,259
    Plugin Contributions
    1

    Default Re: Reviews page - relocate review text wrapper

    Hello again Dave - this is now getting bigger than Ben Hur

    After trying to manipulate css I found that the issue is not the way that page resolves but moreso WHY it resolves at all .... the reviews page process needs a makeover methinks (well at least for my purposes).

    Let me say this first up - I am not a developer so I get pretty lost and confused when trying to modify templates or php files - I think I know how the process should work but not sure how to make it work.

    1. on the product info product page of a product that has a review ... at the bottom of the page is a tab that says 'go to the reviews page' .... see image 1
    2. this page https://www.dazzlersharmonynecklace....e-ball/reviews is the one I originally posted about .... even though the template components are all over the place it requires clicking on the link in the black box 'read the review' ...... ??????? ........... that is why I went to the page in the first place and where I thought I was going, this page (image 2) https://www.dazzlersharmonynecklace....w?reviews_id=7 ... so
    3. this is an unnecessary step so if that can be eliminated that would be great - if that step was designed for circumstances of more than one review for that product it is still superfluous - show all reviews for that product on that one page, right?
    4. with that step removed everything is fine ..... so HOW can that step be removed please ????

    additionally

    5. in Westminster New template the review(s) for the product show at the bottom of the page, after product description and before 'also purchased' and anything else (image 3) - I assume this would be a call in the tpl_product_info.php but again I have no expertise in how to make that work ... can you assist please? (see image)

    I appreciate any help you can give.

    cheers,
    Mike
    p.s. if you think this should be posted in Responsive Classic thread then please say so.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reviews  Harmony Necklace 18ct Gold Mother   Baby  Sterling Silver Chime Ball(2).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	18507
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reviews  Harmony Necklace 18ct Gold Mother   Baby  Sterling Silver Chime Ball(1).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	18508
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harmony Necklace 18ct Gold Mother   Baby  Sterling Silver Chime Ball.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	18509
    Last edited by shags38; 17 Jun 2019 at 04:11 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    RV... somewhere...
    Posts
    820
    Plugin Contributions
    12

    Default Re: Reviews page - relocate review text wrapper

    Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    Hello again Dave - this is now getting bigger than Ben Hur

    After trying to manipulate css I found that the issue is not the way that page resolves but moreso WHY it resolves at all .... the reviews page process needs a makeover methinks (well at least for my purposes).

    Let me say this first up - I am not a developer so I get pretty lost and confused when trying to modify templates or php files - I think I know how the process should work but not sure how to make it work.
    Posting a link may get you more help, but right now I'm looking for a home and have little time. quick look shows issues with containers and css.. line 383 of stylesheet.css when commented out looks good until the screen size changes...

    Reviews need help, I changed mine for I didn't want users leavening the product page to read or submit reviews.
    Dave
    Working on a new project... MySite..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    1,259
    Plugin Contributions
    1

    Default Re: Reviews page - relocate review text wrapper

    Quote Originally Posted by davewest View Post
    Posting a link may get you more help, but right now I'm looking for a home and have little time. quick look shows issues with containers and css.. line 383 of stylesheet.css when commented out looks good until the screen size changes...

    Reviews need help, I changed mine for I didn't want users leavening the product page to read or submit reviews.
    Thanks for taking a look mate, I really appreciate it .......... good luck with the house hunting.

    cheers,
    Mike

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13,950
    Plugin Contributions
    16

    Default Re: Reviews page - relocate review text wrapper

    Looking over the reviews "path", it does look like there could be some improvements applied to it, though some of that is dependent on the current implementation of showing only a portion of the total review for consistency and formatting.

    Right now, it is hard coded to show only 100 characters of the review when shown in a "summary" fashion. Afterall, as someone reviewing reviews, the thought appears to be to show the "important" parts first: stars, the start of the review, when it was left and by whom. Those things could easily be used when looking over a product to see if more should be checked.

    So the few things identified: if a product has one review, why not just show it in its entirety instead of at an intermediate level? OK, that makes sense and could be incorporated. This is like the admin setting to go directly to a product's information page if a category has only one product. (becomes questionable if even more settings should be incorporated into the admin, where I would guess there would be many that would say NO! No more settings... :) ). Then even if there were more than one review and all reviews were shown on that product's review page, the next issue is that even if the entire review were made visible (because it was less than 100 characters) then the read review button would still be displayed. Well, there are two competing aspects to that: the formatting (each review has the same layout on the page regardless the number of reviews) and that if all of the review has been displayed, then why offer an option to see it again elsewhere?

    As to the location/relocation of the content on the product's info page. If the template is built off of the default files, then there should be an html block of text indicating the beginning and end of a "feature". This helps to keep code together associated with something being displayed.

    In this case, the code block as provided in template_default (not the responsive template) path for the tpl_product_info_default.php file is:
    Code:
    <!--bof Reviews button and count-->
    <?php
      if ($flag_show_product_info_reviews == 1) {
        // if more than 0 reviews, then show reviews button; otherwise, show the "write review" button
        if ($reviews->fields['count'] > 0 ) { ?>
    <div id="productReviewLink" class="buttonRow back"><?php echo '<a href="' . zen_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS, zen_get_all_get_params()) . '">' . zen_image_button(BUTTON_IMAGE_REVIEWS, BUTTON_REVIEWS_ALT) . '</a>'; ?></div>
    <br class="clearBoth" />
    <p class="reviewCount"><?php echo ($flag_show_product_info_reviews_count == 1 ? TEXT_CURRENT_REVIEWS . ' ' . $reviews->fields['count'] : ''); ?></p>
    <?php } else { ?>
    <div id="productReviewLink" class="buttonRow back"><?php echo '<a href="' . zen_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_WRITE, zen_get_all_get_params(array())) . '">' . zen_image_button(BUTTON_IMAGE_WRITE_REVIEW, BUTTON_WRITE_REVIEW_ALT) . '</a>'; ?></div>
    <br class="clearBoth" />
    <?php
      }
    }
    ?>
    <!--eof Reviews button and count -->
    Find that, and move it to the desired location, ideally not within another section's bof-eof tags. If such tags are not present, then would expect that if a comparison tool were used to compare your current file with one of the ZC default files it should become relatively clear where the code starts and stops for the reviews.

    Also note that a similar change would likely be needed for the other product types that may be used...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...
    Upgraded to Zen Cart V1.5.3 from V1.5.1 from V1.5.0 from V1.3.9h

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    1,259
    Plugin Contributions
    1

    Default Re: Reviews page - relocate review text wrapper

    Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Looking over the reviews "path", it does look like there could be some improvements applied to it, though some of that is dependent on the current implementation of showing only a portion of the total review for consistency and formatting.

    Right now, it is hard coded to show only 100 characters of the review when shown in a "summary" fashion. Afterall, as someone reviewing reviews, the thought appears to be to show the "important" parts first: stars, the start of the review, when it was left and by whom. Those things could easily be used when looking over a product to see if more should be checked.

    So the few things identified: if a product has one review, why not just show it in its entirety instead of at an intermediate level? OK, that makes sense and could be incorporated. This is like the admin setting to go directly to a product's information page if a category has only one product. (becomes questionable if even more settings should be incorporated into the admin, where I would guess there would be many that would say NO! No more settings... :) ). Then even if there were more than one review and all reviews were shown on that product's review page, the next issue is that even if the entire review were made visible (because it was less than 100 characters) then the read review button would still be displayed. Well, there are two competing aspects to that: the formatting (each review has the same layout on the page regardless the number of reviews) and that if all of the review has been displayed, then why offer an option to see it again elsewhere?

    As to the location/relocation of the content on the product's info page. If the template is built off of the default files, then there should be an html block of text indicating the beginning and end of a "feature". This helps to keep code together associated with something being displayed.

    In this case, the code block as provided in template_default (not the responsive template) path for the tpl_product_info_default.php file is:
    Code:
    <!--bof Reviews button and count-->
    <?php
      if ($flag_show_product_info_reviews == 1) {
        // if more than 0 reviews, then show reviews button; otherwise, show the "write review" button
        if ($reviews->fields['count'] > 0 ) { ?>
    <div id="productReviewLink" class="buttonRow back"><?php echo '<a href="' . zen_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS, zen_get_all_get_params()) . '">' . zen_image_button(BUTTON_IMAGE_REVIEWS, BUTTON_REVIEWS_ALT) . '</a>'; ?></div>
    <br class="clearBoth" />
    <p class="reviewCount"><?php echo ($flag_show_product_info_reviews_count == 1 ? TEXT_CURRENT_REVIEWS . ' ' . $reviews->fields['count'] : ''); ?></p>
    <?php } else { ?>
    <div id="productReviewLink" class="buttonRow back"><?php echo '<a href="' . zen_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_WRITE, zen_get_all_get_params(array())) . '">' . zen_image_button(BUTTON_IMAGE_WRITE_REVIEW, BUTTON_WRITE_REVIEW_ALT) . '</a>'; ?></div>
    <br class="clearBoth" />
    <?php
      }
    }
    ?>
    <!--eof Reviews button and count -->
    Find that, and move it to the desired location, ideally not within another section's bof-eof tags. If such tags are not present, then would expect that if a comparison tool were used to compare your current file with one of the ZC default files it should become relatively clear where the code starts and stops for the reviews.

    Also note that a similar change would likely be needed for the other product types that may be used...
    Many thanks mc12345678 for your detailed response;

    the code to which you refer is included in the responsive template - relocating its position on the page is doable as you explained - the problem is that the code is not designed to show a review, it is designed to show a button to go to a page with another button to go to the review :) - where the code shows
    Code:
    if ($flag_show_product_info_reviews == 1) {
        // if more than 0 reviews, then show reviews button; otherwise, show the "write review" button
    for the purpose of showing the review on the actual product page it should say something like
    Code:
    if ($flag_show_product_info_reviews == 1) {
        // if 1 reviews or more, show reviews here, if 0 reviews, then show the "write review" button
    ... or something similar - as you know by now I am not a coder.

    This Template was written by Anne from Picaflur Azul - in her own templates, such as Westminster New and others she incorporated the reviews on the particular product info page (I actually copied that code from the WN template and copied it into the responsive template in the delusional hope that it may work. The point of this is that components of the code used in the rendering of the reviews to the page 'may' be adaptable to the responsive code ??? - (i.e. how did she make it work) just a thought (rather than reinventing the wheel). I know you cannot answer this question - but I wonder why the very good, very workable reviews system she had developed for her other templates was not incorporated - it seems to be a one step forward, one step back situation. .... anyways .....

    As to negating the unnecessary step - so it should be readily manageable - any clues on what needs to be done? From a customers viewpoint it is ludicrous going through so many steps, exactly what Google says is NOT best practice.

    As to the 100 word limit for showing reviews - I don't see that on some of the more successful sites / platforms out there - where a review is posted it is usually in its entirety - other than in sideboxes but very few indeed use sideboxes these days in modern templates (more page segments - on page text boxes) - so I'm puzzled as to the necessity for this - I don't see the need myself.

    So, given that I am not a coder, in a nutshell;
    1. if the reviews code be readily modified to show the reviews in their entirety on the page .... how can this be achieved?
    2. if the unnecessary page can be readily negated ..... how can this be achieved?

    cheers,
    Mike

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. v139h Show aditional reviews to review page
    By rjspomer in forum Basic Configuration
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23 Jan 2013, 09:07 PM
  2. v138a Relocate my store to home page
    By Renz in forum General Questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2 Feb 2012, 02:42 AM
  3. Review page for specific product shows no reviews
    By vampofvegas in forum General Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5 May 2010, 01:33 AM
  4. Length of Text Displayed on Customer Reviews Page
    By limelites in forum General Questions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12 Jan 2010, 04:52 PM
  5. Product page - how to show a link to the reviews page and reviews count?
    By Ronson in forum Templates, Stylesheets, Page Layout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26 Mar 2009, 11:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
disjunctive-egg
Zen-Cart, Internet Selling Services, Klamath Falls, OR