Plugin Contributions

Default New customers not charged shipping

The scenario is this. A visitor comes to the site and finds something they would like to buy. They add it to their cart. At this point they can estimate shipping by entering their zip code, but they cannot choose a shipping method. The cheapest option is highlighted (I am using the UPS & USPS plug ins). At this point they click on checkout (I am using PayPal business to process credit cards). New customers are given the choice of express checkout (w/ paypal or credit card) or to create an account.
    If they choose express checkout, it goes directly to paypal and the amount to be charged does not include shipping.
    I've searched the forum for solutions and have come close.
    By changing the Customer Approval Status to 3, a new customer must "Login to Buy" which is perfect...almost. Click on that and he creates an account. However, the customer needs to be approved. I would like instant approval.
    I've seen in the forums where by setting the customers_authorization to '1' that would authorize him to buy. I'm just not sure how to make that change or where to do it.
    I would assume to make the change in the 'create_account.php'. Can someone help me with this?
    Thanks!

mazcrafters.com/store

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New customers not charged shipping

Welcome to the Zen Cart forums!

What you've described is expected behavior when the customer chooses to pay using that "PayPal Express Shortcut Button" (i.e. no shipping cost is initially shown at PayPal). Without knowing the customer's address, Zen Cart doesn't have the information it needs to determine which shipping methods should be offered.

After the "express" customer chooses their payment and ship-to address at PayPal, they're returned to your store and at that time can choose their shipping method (unless you've configured the paypalwpp payment method to automatically choose the cheapest shipping).

Plugin Contributions

Alternatively you can make the process of checkout take longer and not use the easy pay options so that paypal information is collected after the shipping and payment methods have been selected.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Alternatively you can make the process of checkout take longer and not use the easy pay options so that paypal information is collected after the shipping and payment methods have been selected.
    Thank you for the workaround. That's an easy way to solve the problem. Sometimes I have trouble getting "out of the box".

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Mazcrafter View Post
    Thank you for the workaround. That's an easy way to solve the problem. Sometimes I have trouble getting "out of the box".
    I hope you understand though that by removing the EZ pay path, that customers now have to go through a longer process to pay. Additionally, the title of this thread indicates that shipping isn't charged. Are you saying that people have checked out where it was expected that they would pay for shipping but weren't charged? If it's a customer discussion issue then can indicate along the checkout process that the shipping fee will not be displayed until the shipping address has been identified, etc...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    I hope you understand though that by removing the EZ pay path, that customers now have to go through a longer process to pay. Additionally, the title of this thread indicates that shipping isn't charged. Are you saying that people have checked out where it was expected that they would pay for shipping but weren't charged? If it's a customer discussion issue then can indicate along the checkout process that the shipping fee will not be displayed until the shipping address has been identified, etc...
    I do understand that. Thank you for your help.