Plugin Contributions

Default Can't send Gift Certificate in German

Hi,

I have searched the Forum but can't seem to find anything related to my problem.

It has only just came to our attention that customers using German can't send Gift Certificates. If the click on "Send Gift Certificate" they either get a blank page, or an error message that the page is not available. It works no problem in English though!!

We are currently using Zencart v1.5.6 with the German Language pack Zen Cart® Versions: v1.5.5 (seeing as there is currently no new Version available)

Have changes been made to the current verstion GV that were not included in the v.1.5.5 (german Version)?

We realise that we should update to v.1.5.6b...…………but we are still recovering from updating Webshop from v.1.3.9 to v.1.5.6

Can anybody point us in the right direction ?

Appreciate any help

Mods:

German Language Pack
    Edit Orders
    Super Admin Login
    Better together & combination discounts
    Minimum Order Quantity

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can't send Gift Certificate in German

Quick update to my post.

We had the idea to replace the german file gv_send with the english file and it works, so it must be something missing in the german file.

We will fix the issue by putting the translation in the english file.

P.s. why was the original post closed??

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
    Quick update to my post.

We had the idea to replace the german file gv_send with the english file and it works, so it must be something missing in the german file.

We will fix the issue by putting the translation in the english file.

P.s. why was the original post closed??
    There were some changes made in the gift certificate area between ZC 1.5.5 and 1.5.6. I don't recall what they were, but if the language pack wasn't fully tested/vetted, then this area is expected to have some issues (for German and likely any other additional language pack).

As to the closing of "the original post" it appears that the post was received by the forum twice and actually the "later" post was closed leaving this one. I am not a moderator and even if so probably wouldn't be told about it, but that's what it looks like upon review of the two posts seeing as they were made in the same forum thread. Looks like swguy was just trying to keep the conversation to one place to help you and anyone else that came across the other thread.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Oh yes, now I see the double post - no idea why that happened. thanks swguy for closing the other one.

The language issues are all over the new version.. we have been fixing them one by one. Hopefully a new translation is available soon.

Plugin Contributions

Oh yes, now I see the double post - no idea why that happened. thanks swguy for closing the other one.

The language issues are all over the new version.. we have been fixing them one by one. Hopefully a new translation is available soon.
    As an open source forum, that solution may be from yourself or at least with your support/help made available and improved... All things here are a result of someone doing something. If you're doing it, then others will certainly appreciate the help and perhaps will give back as well...

Be a good community member and perhaps reach out to the last that updated it, let them know what you have, that you'd like to share but need or want.... (fill in blank such as permission, help, guidance, whatever)

Unfortunately there seems to be a culture shift occurring where changes are being expected by someone else although that someone else may not be involved anymore or they have "commercialized" the solution (will fix for a fee) and not provided it back (yet?). At the same time, part of that cultural shift is: if it doesn't work then walk away... both of those together makes for horrible open source development.

Anyways, your work and efforts on this and providing back to the forum would make for a better product and perhaps encourage others to chip in as well...

What I would suggest as far as the language files is to do a comparison looking for the existence of defines in one file not in the other. Then using the template/language override concepts to fill in the gap(s).

Plugin Contributions

Hi

I hear you and if I could do this, I most certianly would.

Problem in this particular case is, I am an english speaking in a german speaking country. My german is not good enough to make correct translations. For this particular issue I even used Google translate - main thing was finding out where the problem was and getting it to run - corrections will come later. And then my knowledge of php is also very limited - for example I already don't know what you mean with the last sentence :) I am also worried that any changes I might make (which work for my site) won't work on someone elses… I wouldn't know how to give necessary support.

Anyway, in the next couple of weeks we are going to upgrade to 1.5.6b and then I will make sure I adjust to note all the german corrections and if possible I will share them here. Maybe someone else can test / review them.

Plugin Contributions

Hi

I hear you and if I could do this, I most certianly would.

Problem in this particular case is, I am an english speaking in a german speaking country. My german is not good enough to make correct translations. For this particular issue I even used Google translate - main thing was finding out where the problem was and getting it to run - corrections will come later. And then my knowledge of php is also very limited - for example I already don't know what you mean with the last sentence :) I am also worried that any changes I might make (which work for my site) won't work on someone elses… I wouldn't know how to give necessary support.

Anyway, in the next couple of weeks we are going to upgrade to 1.5.6b and then I will make sure I adjust to note all the german corrections and if possible I will share them here. Maybe someone else can test / review them.
    Right there is part of what open source is all about.

As to my last sentence, I was trying to lead you to looking at the FAQS on templates and the override system. Basically to get an understanding of where language files may be "hidden". Of course having a language pack, pretty much have that in hand. :)

As to the translation issue?! Sie könnten nur versuchen. :)