Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Domestic shipping with non-domestic credit card

I used to have a lot of Canadian customers before I had to stop shipping to Canada (my customers were getting hit with large tariffs). So I turned off shipping to Canada. But some of them who live near the border have US addresses where they can receive packages and mail. I could ship to those addresses, but when they attempt to pay with a Canadian credit card, they're getting the message that it isn't accepted. Is there some way to separate those functions so people can pay with a credit card from another country, but ship to a US address?

I can handle this directly through my credit card processor, but it would be nice if people didn't have to do it that way. I'm sure I've missed some sales because potential customers thought we simply wouldn't accept their orders.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Domestic shipping with non-domestic credit card

How do you have any restrictions setup? The payment and shipping are two different functions and sets of data. Yes if the shipto and payfrom addresses don't match then there will be a notification in the orders area of the admin, but I can't say I've seen anything that directly restricts that while doing checkout unless each of the modules (shipping and payment) have some restriction(s) on them.

Also what are the available payment method(s)?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

It's not a problem with the shipping and billing addresses not being the same. We get that all the time. It's that if a specific country is not enabled, payment from that country isn't allowed even if the shipping address for the order is in a permitted country.

I'm using USPS, UPS and Fedex and don't have any problems with that end of it. It's when the customer tries to pay with a credit card from a country that isn't enabled for shipping, even though the shipping address itself is in a country that is enabled. Specifically, if customer puts in a US shipping address but a Canadian credit card (or one from anywhere else), they get an error message saying we don't ship to that country. I have had orders from a country that was enabled, shipping to a US address (for example, an Australian customer who wanted to send a product as a gift to a US family member). But people using Canadian credit cards can't purchase something to be sent to a US address because Canada isn't enabled as a country to ship to.

Plugin Contributions

Allow me again to try to get you to help others or myself to be able to help you.

How could one setup their store so that they could reproduce this issue and perhaps find a functional way to avert it? What shipping and what payment modules is this happening? What are the settings under configuration->Shipping on the admin?

Plugin Contributions

I have USPS, UPS and Fedex set up, but only USPS was enabled for Canada. We stopped using package couriers for Canada because customers were being hit with customs charges. That's a different problem than the tariffs. Package couriers like UPS appoint themselves as the customer's customs broker and charge a fee even if there is no tariff. USPS shipments are not subject to customs, and we were able to continue shipping by USPS until the tariffs were imposed.

Payment modules are Free Order, Check/Money Order, Paypal Payments Pro and Paypal Express Checkout. We changed over to Paypal Payments Pro from Authorize.net last year, but we were having the same problem with not being able to accept Canadian payments before that.

The shipping configuration is pretty vanilla.

Maximum package weight - 50 pounds
    Package Tare Small to Medium - 0:0
    Larger Packages - 0:0
    Display Number of Boxes and Weight - both boxes and weight
    Order Free Shipping for zero weight status - no
    Shipping Estimator Display Settings - button on shopping cart
    Display Order Comments on Admin Invoice - display all comments
    Display Order Comments on Admin Packing Slip - display all comments

Part of the problem is that a new Canadian customer can't even enter their billing address because the address fields and country name aren't displayed unless that country is enabled for shipping. And when existing Canadian customers log in, they get a big red banner across the screen that says "Sorry, but we no longer accept billing or shipping addresses in "Canada". Please update this address to continue."

I don't think there is any simple way around this, but I'm still hoping.

Plugin Contributions

Did you, perhaps, disable Canada as an accepted country in your store? Check your admin's Locations/Taxes->Countries to make sure that Canada is enabled.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, I definitely did disable Canada because I can't ship to Canada. That's the whole problem here. I am not able to ship to Canada because of the tariffs that are imposed on my customers. I need to be able to accept a Canadian billing address and credit card while still shipping to a US address. If I enable Canada in the locations section, people will place orders with Canadian shipping addresses.

There does not appear to be any way to separate the billing and shipping functions so that it's possible to use a billing address from one country and a shipping address in another country unless the first country is also enabled for shipping, and that's what I can not do.

Plugin Contributions

That's where zones come into play. If a shipping module is set to only support shipping to say the US zone, then no other zone
    (canada) can use that shipping method.

In that configuration, the individual could live in Canada, ship to the US and pay from wherever.

By removing (disabling) the country of Canada from the selection list of countries, it has been removed from all options basically.
    Last edited by mc12345678; 17 Jul 2019 at 08:09 PM.

Plugin Contributions

I've removed all the Canadian provinces and territories from the zone list and enabled Canada in the list of countries. I can now log in with one of my Canadian customers' accounts and get all the way to the final checkout page where it asks for the credit card details. It looks as though it will allow me to ship to her Canadian address.

Never mind--I may have figured it out. I went into the shipping methods themselves and restricted the available zones. That does appear to have done the trick.
    Last edited by HeleneWallis; 17 Jul 2019 at 10:30 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Nope, it is still going to allow shipping to Canada. I set the shipping zones in both UPS and USPS to 'US' only. Now when I click on the shipping cost estimator, it doesn't show any possible shipping methods at all, even for my customer's US address. But at the checkout screen, it's still allowing shipping to her Canadian address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast