Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Smart Characters And Timeouts

Clearing the cache/sessions is expected resolve that issue.

Btw, as far as the session issue within the ZC admin, it would help to identify what has been altered/current settings thought to have been set to permit not having to login after a period of time.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

I did clear my Chrome cache, but it didn't help. The entire interface is still messed up.

The timer thing was my own stupid fault...I didn't see the field that says "ignore the timer" a few lines above where you can set the number of seconds. Once I spotted that and set it to 0, the timer issue went away, too.

Thank you again for your help!!!!

Plugin Contributions

I have two more questions, and I most sincerely hope they're the last ones I'll have to ask about this shopping cart!

I thought version 1.5.6 was supposed to correct "smart" characters like ellipses, m-dashes, quotes, etc. so they show up as ..., a long dash, and regular quotation marks. Instead, ... is still displaying on the audiobook listing pages as … and m-dashes are displaying as —. I haven't tested the quotes yet, but those may also still be having problems. How can I fix that so they display properly?

Also, I need to find out how to properly add audiobook files into the attributes controller. It's easy enough with e-books...you just list the file names for the azw3, epub, mobi, and pdf, and associate the correct file type with each suffix. But e-books are only a single document. Audiobooks are made up of multiple files...the opening credits, various chapters if it's long or the single body file if it's short, possibly a teaser for other books, and ending credits. When we have to upload to various other sites, we have to follow this format:

001_book_title_opening_credits.mp3
    002_book_title_chapter_1.mp3
    003_book_title_chapter_2.mp3
    004_book_title_chapter_3.mp3
    005_book_title_chapter_4.mp3
    006_book_title_closing_credits.mp3

If I select Audiobook, which is the only attribute available on this site, and then make entries for each of those files as laid out above, and a person clicks Buy Now, will it download all of those files sequentially to their tablet without their needing to do anything special? That's how it works on Amazon, Audible, iTunes, etc. People click the Buy button, and all the files download seamlessly as if it was only one large file. I need to learn how to do that on this site.

As always, I appreciate your advice and help!!

Jo

Plugin Contributions

I tested quotes, and they're displaying wrong, too. " is showing up as “ on Firefox and Chrome. :-/

The smart quotes issue is the whole reason why I upgraded. Can someone please tell me why it's still displaying wrong even after the upgrade? Thank you!

Plugin Contributions

Hello? Did my last two queries get lost in a freak wormhole in hyperspace? ;-)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DK_Scully View Post
    I have two more questions, and I most sincerely hope they're the last ones I'll have to ask about this shopping cart!

I thought version 1.5.6 was supposed to correct "smart" characters like ellipses, m-dashes, quotes, etc. so they show up as ..., a long dash, and regular quotation marks. Instead, ... is still displaying on the audiobook listing pages as … and m-dashes are displaying as —. I haven't tested the quotes yet, but those may also still be having problems. How can I fix that so they display properly?

Also, I need to find out how to properly add audiobook files into the attributes controller. It's easy enough with e-books...you just list the file names for the azw3, epub, mobi, and pdf, and associate the correct file type with each suffix. But e-books are only a single document. Audiobooks are made up of multiple files...the opening credits, various chapters if it's long or the single body file if it's short, possibly a teaser for other books, and ending credits. When we have to upload to various other sites, we have to follow this format:

001_book_title_opening_credits.mp3
    002_book_title_chapter_1.mp3
    003_book_title_chapter_2.mp3
    004_book_title_chapter_3.mp3
    005_book_title_chapter_4.mp3
    006_book_title_closing_credits.mp3

If I select Audiobook, which is the only attribute available on this site, and then make entries for each of those files as laid out above, and a person clicks Buy Now, will it download all of those files sequentially to their tablet without their needing to do anything special? That's how it works on Amazon, Audible, iTunes, etc. People click the Buy button, and all the files download seamlessly as if it was only one large file. I need to learn how to do that on this site.

As always, I appreciate your advice and help!!

Jo
    I don't have a clear answer for the first issue. Some searching indicated that the content stored using those characters may need to be encompassed in XML type tags with identification of using the win-1252 type encoding. My past experience has been not to use those characters for the result described.

For the second issue, all of the files can be made to be available for download to the customer by making a single purchase, but to make the download occur for all of the files by selecting some download option, would appear to require some additional coding/process. Otherwise, the files will be present in the customer's account where they would download each one at a time. Of course if they were zipped or somehow merged into a single file then that issue would be avoided, but there is indication in Internet posts that some devices do not support processing zip files.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

MC:

Thanks very much for looking into this for me!

We have several Zen shopping carts in use. Our other carts can handle these characters without a problem. I'm trying to copy the information directly from four other carts into this new one (one is using version 1.5.3 and the other three are using version 1.5.4.), because the listing information is the same...this site is just devoted to audiobooks whereas the others deal with e-books. What works on each of the other carts is not working on this one...even though this new one is using the newest version of ZenCart (1.5.6c). And I can tell you for certain we never did anything special with XML type tags or win-1252 type encoding on the other carts, because I'm the one who'd have had to do it.

Unfortunately zip files aren't going to work. When a reader downloads an audiobook, they expect to be able to listen to it immediately, not have to mess with it somehow...just the way they can download an e-book and read it immediately. I loathe the thought of having to manually combine all those files into one huge file for every single audiobook we process...apart from the fact that it's going to be far too much manual work when this site takes off, the downloads are going to take forever and a day. So it looks like the extra coding will be necessary. Where can I find out what that's going to take (though I don't have a hope I'll actually understand how to do it)?

Plugin Contributions

So does anyone have any idea why four other shopping carts are behaving properly, but this newest one isn't?

Plugin Contributions

I suspect there is an issue with charset, the language files and configs probably have utf8 and the database isn't utf8, so there is a clash that causes issues
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Okay, but we didn't mess with those things in any of the other carts, and we definitely haven't messed with it in this one. Upgrading should have fixed the problem since it did with the other carts, but it didn't. So how do I fix it myself?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast