Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrade from 1.56a to 1.56c, manual SQL updates necessary?

It says in the release notes for 1.56c:

"IS THERE A DATABASE UPGRADE STEP FROM v156 to v156c?
    That depends: yes, there is one MANUAL step you must do yourself (and if you didn't do it in 156 already). It's only automated if upgrading from before v156.
    1. If you're using PayPal and MySQL 8.0.17 or newer you may need to run these half dozen statements via SQL Patch
    2. If you ran into database errors when upgrading to v1.5.6 or v1.5.6a you might want to manually run the /zc_install/sql/install/zero_dates_cleanup.sql via the SQL Patches tool."

I upgraded from 1.38a to 1.55f, then 1.55f to 1.56a.

When I read the link at "run these half dozen statements via SQL Patch", it says:
    "This SQL script upgrades the core Zen Cart database structure from v1.5.5 to v1.5.6"

So it's unclear to me if I need to do anything about this. It seems if I am going from 1.56a to 1.56c then I don't need to do anything?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade from 1.56a to 1.56c, manual SQL updates necessary?

The link technically should have taken you to the following list of sql commands with them all highlighted. It may depend on the browser, but if you look at the link the first number after #L is the first line at which the sql needed starts.

Again I believe that to be:
    Code:
    ## Added in v1.5.6b for MySQL 8.0.17 compatibility
    ALTER TABLE paypal MODIFY mc_gross decimal(15,4) NOT NULL default '0.00';
    ALTER TABLE paypal MODIFY mc_fee decimal(15,4) NOT NULL default '0.00';
    ALTER TABLE paypal MODIFY payment_gross decimal(15,4) default NULL;
    ALTER TABLE paypal MODIFY payment_fee decimal(15,4) default NULL;
    ALTER TABLE paypal MODIFY settle_amount decimal(15,4) default NULL;
    ALTER TABLE paypal MODIFY exchange_rate decimal(15,4) default NULL;
    ALTER TABLE currencies MODIFY value decimal(14,6) default NULL;
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

If you are able to modify configuration settings, then most likely won't need to do number 2.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm still confused.

If I do a phpinfo() on my site, I am told that I have:

mysqli
    mysqlnd 5.0.12-dev - 20150407

I am assuming this is my MySQL version? And if so, it is far less than MySQL 8.0.17, and I don't need to do anything? (I do use PayPal.)

Regarding the link that is linked to "run these half dozen statements via SQL Patch" in the 1.56c release announcement, I see now that it did indeed highlight those 12 lines, but I must admit I was confused by the presentation, I didn't really notice that the lines were highlighted, I just thought that the whole thing applied. My bad, I guess, but if there's just 12 lines, better to put them in a separate post, IMO, less chance for confusion.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by karma-lab View Post
    It says in the release notes for 1.56c:

"IS THERE A DATABASE UPGRADE STEP FROM v156 to v156c?
    That depends: yes, there is one MANUAL step you must do yourself (and if you didn't do it in 156 already). It's only automated if upgrading from before v156.
    1. If you're using PayPal and MySQL 8.0.17 or newer you may need to run these half dozen statements via SQL Patch
    2. If you ran into database errors when upgrading to v1.5.6 or v1.5.6a you might want to manually run the /zc_install/sql/install/zero_dates_cleanup.sql via the SQL Patches tool."

I upgraded from 1.38a to 1.55f, then 1.55f to 1.56a.

When I read the link at "run these half dozen statements via SQL Patch", it says:
    "This SQL script upgrades the core Zen Cart database structure from v1.5.5 to v1.5.6"

So it's unclear to me if I need to do anything about this. It seems if I am going from 1.56a to 1.56c then I don't need to do anything?
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm still confused.

If I do a phpinfo() on my site, I am told that I have:

mysqli
    mysqlnd 5.0.12-dev - 20150407

I am assuming this is my MySQL version? And if so, it is far less than MySQL 8.0.17, and I don't need to do anything? (I do use PayPal.)

Regarding the link that is linked to "run these half dozen statements via SQL Patch" in the 1.56c release announcement, I see now that it did indeed highlight those 12 lines, but I must admit I was confused by the presentation, I didn't really notice that the lines were highlighted, I just thought that the whole thing applied. My bad, I guess, but if there's just 12 lines, better to put them in a separate post, IMO, less chance for confusion.
    Considering from the chain of events that it appears that an upgrade from probably one of the most insecure versions only recently was performed, it does not surprise me about the confusion. There is a "need" based on the requirements of the software and there is a "need" based on being a responsible operator considering both store operation and customer data.

The reported version of MySQL is yes "well below" 8.0.x; however, the highest version that exists before 8.0.x is 5.7.x. So then one should consider the following:

If you have total control over the version of MySQL installed, why is it only updated to 5.0.12 and not higher and potentially putting your customer's data at risk by using an outdated version? If you *do not* have total control over the version of MySQL installed, why not execute the code so that when the host upgrades the server software, you do not have to do anything to remain operational? I mean if you enjoy the fact that one day you go to look at your sales history to find that there are multiple sales made of unknown product or perhaps no sales made because the customer could not check out, well go right ahead.

Furthermore, ZC 1.5.x is designed to expect a MySQL version of 5.1 or greater, so in a way I am somewhat surprised that it is working in the proposed environment.

It really comes down to this... Software should remain up-to-date as much as possible. At least the changes made between versions should be reviewed to see what impact they have and why they were incorporated. Some may affect just display of certain information, others significantly affect operation, results, and in particular security. The changes suggested here if not performed will break store operation or at least provide a lot of messages if MySQL is updated without your knowledge. If incorporated now, the changes will have no harmful affect... So, which do you think is the right way to go?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    If you have total control over the version of MySQL installed, why is it only updated to 5.0.12 and not higher and potentially putting your customer's data at risk by using an outdated version?
    I don't - shared hosting environment.

If you *do not* have total control over the version of MySQL installed, why not execute the code so that when the host upgrades the server software, you do not have to do anything to remain operational?
    But where does it say in the release announcement that this MySQL patch should be performed no matter what regardless of version of MySQL? It doesn't. It implies it should be done in certain cases. I don't want to mess around with manual MySQL patches unless absolutely necessary. The instructions are unclear.

Furthermore, ZC 1.5.x is designed to expect a MySQL version of 5.1 or greater, so in a way I am somewhat surprised that it is working in the proposed environment.
    I just checked further and apparently the MySQL Version on the server is 5.6.44 - I guess the mysqli module reported in phpinfo() of mysqlnd 5.0.12-dev - 20150407 is something different.

If incorporated now, the changes will have no harmful affect... So, which do you think is the right way to go?
    THANK YOU. That was all I was trying to find out.

Plugin Contributions

I just checked further and apparently the MySQL Version on the server is 5.6.44 - I guess the mysqli module reported in phpinfo() of mysqlnd 5.0.12-dev - 20150407 is something different.
    What you really want to do to find your MySQL version number is go to Admin->Version (look at the upper right hand side for the link). You'll see the MySQL version displayed prominently at the top. (The label is "Database Engine.")
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    What you really want to do to find your MySQL version number is go to Admin->Version (look at the upper right hand side for the link). You'll see the MySQL version displayed prominently at the top. (The label is "Database Engine.")
    Got it, thanks. Database Engine: MySQL 5.6.44

(I always forget about this page in the ZenCart admin settings...)

Plugin Contributions

Also since your upgrade was from 1.3.8, please ASSUME your site has been compromised and act accordingly:

- check for any undesired scripts in the images folder
    - change database passwords in configure.php files
    - change all admin passwords and remove unused admin accounts.
    - verify that admin-configuration-minimum values settings are all as expected.
    etc.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.