Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrade from 1.56a to 1.56c - zc_install/index.php step not required?

So I'm trying to upgrade from 1.56a to 1.56c (on a backup first, of course).

I like ZenCart and appreciate the hard work that goes into it, but one of the only real negatives is how difficult it is to upgrade and keep your customizations. It's literally taken me about 5 hours over a few days to prepare for this minor update. I always have major trepidation when doing this and really hope I don't run into things that are confusing.

I already prepared all of the 1.56c files, integrated my modifications, integrated my configure.php files etc.

I uploaded the files to the site, prepared the copied database, etc.

So, the instructions provided with the download (in docs/2.readme_how_to_upgrade.html) say the following:

Navigate to /store_new/zc_install/index.php using your browser

Choose "Database Upgrade" when prompted.
    Do not select "Install", or you will overwrite your database.
    If "Upgrade" is not offered, then the installer was unable to connect to your database to confirm what version its structure is at.
    But when I do this, Upgrade is not offered, the only option is "Clean Install" and it says:

An existing configure.php file was found. However your database seems to be current. This suggests you are on a live site. Proceeding with Install will wipe out the current database contents! Are you sure you want to install?
    So I assume this step is not needed for this upgrade? Why doesn't it say that somewhere? Like here in the release thread?:

https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....ed#post1359669

Anyway, if I get rid of the zc_install folder, and login, it tells me that I am current with v1.56c. So I guess I'm done? (with the exception of the 12 line manual mySQL update?)

Maybe the document should say:
    If "Upgrade" is not offered, then the installer was unable to connect to your database to confirm what version its structure is at, or there is no upgrade required to be performed on the database and you can skip this step.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade from 1.56a to 1.56c - zc_install/index.php step not required?

Evidently you've already been having this discussion elsewhere: https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....ates-necessary

So the short answer is: no, you don't need to run zc_install between letter-releases like 156a-to-156c

Judging from your other post I'm guessing you don't want the long answer, but since I already wrote it, here it is:

As for file changes between 156a and 156c, there are a few dozen files changed. If it's taking you as long as you mentioned, then either your site is incredibly highly customized and uses a lot of addons that alter core code, or you're comparing files the hard way. Using a tool that does 3-way compares makes the file-upgrade process very fast and easy, since you can compare "156a", "my current code", and "156c" all at the same time, and clearly see what changed in each, and copy over whatever is needed with just a click. The best tools for this 3-way compare are Araxis Merge and Beyond Compare. There are some others as well. For all products that offer it, the 3-way option is typically a paid upgrade, while the 2-way compare is cheaper or free. WinMerge is one of those free 2-way-only compare tools.

As for the database ...

zc_install is primarily for installing for the first time, and for upgrading the database between versions that require database changes. It does also assist with some other system-related changes between major versions, such as restructuring your configure.php file, when necessary.

It's very rare for database-changes to be required between letter-releases, such as 1.5.6a to 1.5.6c.
    In fact, the release announcement specifically addresses this matter, and explains the unique database update that "might" be needed under those very specific circumstances along with how to do it. It makes no mention of zc_install because zc_install is never used between letter-releases.

Sorry you found the announcement confusing. Like all our announcements and docs, it's intended to be as brief as possible so people actually read it, while also being as detailed as possible so that it is helpful. Sorry that you feel that that delicate balance failed you this time.

Thanks for sharing your suggestion for a changed wording in zc_install.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade from 1.56a to 1.56c - zc_install/index.php step not required?

DrByte, first let me say I have great respect for what you do here, so thank you for the clarifications. If I may...

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Evidently you've already been having this discussion elsewhere: https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....ates-necessary
    Actually, that's a different question, about the manual MySQL update step only.

So the short answer is: no, you don't need to run zc_install between letter-releases like 156a-to-156c

Judging from your other post I'm guessing you don't want the long answer, but since I already wrote it, here it is:

As for file changes between 156a and 156c, there are a few dozen files changed. If it's taking you as long as you mentioned, then either your site is incredibly highly customized and uses a lot of addons that alter core code, or you're comparing files the hard way. Using a tool that does 3-way compares makes the file-upgrade process very fast and easy, since you can compare "156a", "my current code", and "156c" all at the same time, and clearly see what changed in each, and copy over whatever is needed with just a click. The best tools for this 3-way compare are Araxis Merge and Beyond Compare.
    Thank you, I shall have to check out Araxis Merge for MacOS. But I do already use FileMerge (part of XCode) for 2-way compares and it works quite well.

I'm not sure how 3-way compare is actually going to improve the situation, because what about when you have a bunch of custom template/overrides? These file don't exist in the ZenCart versions so there is nothing to compare directly to when comparing a directory structure and files. You have to make a list of changed/added files, and then in the case of templates, individually compare them to the new version's default template to see if there is anything you need to copy over, while keeping your custom changes. This is quite time=consuming, unless I'm really doing something wrong.

For example, here is the list I created showing the differences between "my current code" and 1.56a, the version it is descended from:

The files in blue italic font are all custom files that may need to be individually compared to the default files in the new version. I guess maybe if I compare 1.56a to 1.56c (for example) and see which default templates have changed, then I would know which of my custom templates to take a look at...hmmm...didn't think of that. Maybe next time.

It's very rare for database-changes to be required between letter-releases, such as 1.5.6a to 1.5.6c.
    In fact, the release announcement specifically addresses this matter, and explains the unique database update that "might" be needed under those very specific circumstances along with how to do it. It makes no mention of zc_install because zc_install is never used between letter-releases.
    But as someone inexperienced with doing frequent updates, the release announcement is not enough to go on, I need to consult the "how to upgrade" instructions included with the download, and nowhere in there does it say "zc_install is never used between letter-releases".

So now that I know that, it's a good piece of information to have; I just think it should be in the documents or mentioned in the release announcement.

Anyway, as someone who was stuck on 1.38 for awhile, and finally upgraded a year ago to 1.55f (and that took me weeks to port my theme over), I am trying to stay on top of these more frequent updates so I don't end up in that situation again.
    Last edited by karma-lab; 12 Aug 2019 at 02:15 AM.