Plugin Contributions

red flag Can't log into admin, nor reset password.

site URL - fivedollarblingdiva.com
    ZC version - v156c
    list of plugins - have only installed Cherry Zen template
    PHP version - 7.1

I have hostgator hosting.

I have been having issues upgrading to the new version manually (their 1 click install is an old version). It appears to be an issue when the SSL is hooked up...I either can't log in, or the website itself will throw an error 500.

This installation I uploaded the ZC files, then the Cherry Zen template. I worked on things for a bit, then realized that the SSL was not working, so I had them fix it. I had no issues in it until the admin session timed out and now I can't get logged back in and using password reset is not working. Both the log in and the password reset screens just refresh without doing anything at all.

I have found a code here in the forum to run in the SQL to add a generic admin, however it keeps giving me error messages no matter if I use the table prefixes or not. I am at a loss, so i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Hostgator also can't get it to work either, so I thought i would ask here before I look for a different cart to use or take a hammer to the comp lol. Help please :)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can't log into admin, nor reset password.

Three things come to mind that have plagued us before.

SSL
    301 redirect
    .htaccess

If all these do not match, you will not be able to log in to the admin. Since you made changes while logged in, this is where I would look.

Make sure the SSL points to the same as in the two config files. Nowadays most just drop the www in favor of the non-www URL. Regardless, if your SSL is for www.your_site.com, then the two configs should have www as well. Reverse for non-www. Both server listings should be https:// and true for SSL.

Make sure a 301 direct does not exist that takes you away from the correct URL. There may be an old 301 at hostgator or in your cpanel (Redirects under Domains) that takes the admin away from the proper, secure URL.

Same goes for the .htaccess in the root of the site.

Once they are all matched up, you may just be notified that you need to change your password due to going https:

BTW, you won't find anyone here on the forum who advocates using the "one click installers" provided on many hosts. While they might work for a small-, initial-installation, they more often than not create a problem from lack of files.

Plugin Contributions

Also, even though the error message may have been a 500, it never hurts to look in the logs directory to see what, if any myDebug related log file has been generated when trying to access the admin/track down an issue.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Well that worked. The config files did not match the SSL. Now I need to figure out why I can't add products to the cart while on the actual product screen :) Thank you very much for your help!

Plugin Contributions

and I spoke too soon. It timed out and now it's doing the same thing. Unfortunately the thing I did last time is not working.

Plugin Contributions

I will be curious to see how shoving a template designed for 1.5.0 with an old version of SNAF onto a 1.5.6c will cause issues in the future on the front side, not sure everything in that template is PHP 7+ ready...
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

I had a lot of trouble trying to reset my Admin password using the methods above, error messages, just not working etc. The solution I found was very simple:
    - do locally a new install using the same Zen Cart version.
    - Export the admin-table, just the data
    - In the export make the "id" one higher than the highest one in the production-admin table
    - import the record in the production admin table
    - change the not working password in the administrator menu and test it
    - delete the imported record for safety

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Three things come to mind that have plagued us before.

SSL
    301 redirect
    .htaccess

If all these do not match, you will not be able to log in to the admin. Since you made changes while logged in, this is where I would look.

Make sure the SSL points to the same as in the two config files. Nowadays most just drop the www in favor of the non-www URL. Regardless, if your SSL is for www.your_site.com, then the two configs should have www as well. Reverse for non-www. Both server listings should be https:// and true for SSL.

Make sure a 301 direct does not exist that takes you away from the correct URL. There may be an old 301 at hostgator or in your cpanel (Redirects under Domains) that takes the admin away from the proper, secure URL.

Same goes for the .htaccess in the root of the site.

Once they are all matched up, you may just be notified that you need to change your password due to going https:

BTW, you won't find anyone here on the forum who advocates using the "one click installers" provided on many hosts. While they might work for a small-, initial-installation, they more often than not create a problem from lack of files.
    I just wanted to say that this post was VERY helpful when I recently moved a site to a new server (same host) - lost admin login ability - even forcing change in database to Admin/admin didn't work - the key was the SSL - in v1.5.5f I needed to have configure.php files HTTP server set to httpS in all cases - after doing that login worked.

Thanks for the tip(s)