Plugin Contributions

help question How to upgrade zen cart that has a different admin folder name

How to upgrade zen cart that has a different admin folder name

During my upgrade to a new version, zencart assumes my admin is "zcadmin" therefore creates a seperate folder "zcadmin" thus ignoring my "cusom_admin" folder.
    After that everything really gets messed up.

1. What is the correct procedure up upgrading for sites that has a different admin?
    2. What is the correct procedure up upgrading for sites that has a sub zencart folder and a different admin?

Thanks.
    Downunder QLD

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to upgrade zen cart that has a different admin folder name

Upgrading from what to what? Are you upgrading following the instructions at https://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3...d-of-upgrading?

Unless you're upgrading from something earlier than 1.5.0, following the instructions is the best way to go. Matters not what your previous site was as you create new and insert the old database.

Plugin Contributions

upgrading from 1.5.5x to current
    Downunder QLD

Plugin Contributions

So, I decided to upgrade from 156a to 156c.

1.Created new test directory
    2.Copied 2 configure files and modified to show store directory /testdirectory/
    3.Ran testdirectory/zc_install
    4. Expected Upgrade option
    5. Got this instead

An existing configure.php file was found. However your database seems to be current. This suggests you are on a live site. Proceeding with Install will wipe out the current database contents! Are you sure you want to install?

Why dont I get the upgrade option? I know I can do a clean install, export/import tables. But I don't get why install doesnt offer me upgrade.

Plugin Contributions

I don't think there was a database upgrade for v1.5.6a to v1.5.6c (other than a manual change: https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....11#post1357911)
    Maybe that's why no upgrade option was available.
    Simon

Plugin Contributions

@Simon1066 - You are correct about no database upgrade if updating from 1.5.6a to 1.5.8c. Pretty much the same when moving from 1.5.5b to 1.5.5f. However, when you move from one "third number" to another (1.5.5b to 1.5.6c) there is a database change.

@oavs - following DrByte's tutorial is the safest way to move to a new level. All of us have little tricks that make it quicker but, we've done it a lot of times. One thing that can munge up the move is trying to bring things over to the new site too soon. The new (upgrade) site needs nothing from your old site to make a new site. Copying over old files prior to a complete setup of the new site will result in unexpected consequences such as the configure.php already existing Stopping installation.

It's difficult at times to drop down from "I can code that" to "okay, I'll do it the Zen Cart way." The devs are constantly working towards better ways but sometimes a shortcut is a direct route to disaster.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by oavs View Post
    upgrading from 1.5.5x to current
    Using what to do the upgrade? Please be more specific, was it from 1.5.5x to the current 1.5.5f (the current sub-version of 1.5.5). Or is it to 1.5.6c which is the current production version. Or to some version that is still in development?

My experience with upgrades having more than one admin folder has been for the installer (zc_install) to ask me which admin folder is the admin to be upgraded. The first page of the zc_install has/had a dropdown to select the folder representing the admin and seemed would identify any folder that was appropriate.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Using what to do the upgrade? Please be more specific, was it from 1.5.5x to the current 1.5.5f (the current sub-version of 1.5.5). Or is it to 1.5.6c which is the current production version. Or to some version that is still in development?

My experience with upgrades having more than one admin folder has been for the installer (zc_install) to ask me which admin folder is the admin to be upgraded. The first page of the zc_install has/had a dropdown to select the folder representing the admin and seemed would identify any folder that was appropriate.
    Presently using: v1.5.6a upgrading to v1.5.6c

Sorry didn't know each update had specific method of upgrade.
    Downunder QLD

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by oavs View Post
    Presently using: v1.5.6a upgrading to v1.5.6c

Sorry didn't know each update had specific method of upgrade.
    As usual, I can't tell which comments go with which previous posts as I can see how they may apply to either/both, but also to one and not the other. Anyways, there are upgrade notes for going to Zen Cart 1.5.6c and what additional steps may be necessary for going from associated 1.5.6x versions.

Long and short about understanding is that the best and fastest solutions come when the information associated with the issue is presented. The best starting point is everything in the posting tips. Use that each and every time an issue is identified. There are some issues that may need more information, but that can be identified after getting the baseline information.

Unfortunately, now the main topic of this thread no longer seems to apply as the upgrade is now between Zen Cart 1.5.6a and 1.5.6c where zc_install may not be a factor assuming that the tables affected by date/datetime fields have received all of the updates necessary. Anyways, what I'm getting at, is that if the initial conditions have changed, which they seemed to have, then this thread should have been updated. Eh, at the moment call it water under the bridge, but hopefully you get the point. Remember those that offer help do so as they choose. Try not to give reason(s) for them/us to skip over a question. Also remember that those same individuals may ask questions to which you may know the answer. Whomever has asked, if you have a solution, it doesn't hurt to help.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...