Plugin Contributions

Default upgrading from 1.5.4 to 1.5.6c - upgrade/installation in root vs /store

I am upgrading from 1.5.4 to 1.5.6c. If you have an install in your root directory as opposed to /store/ is it possible to install the new version in a directory such as /upgrade/ for testing purposes and then when all is good have the tested upgrade moved to the root?

[Note: remember to include site URL, ZC version, list of plugins, PHP version, etc ... read the Posting Tips shown above for information to include in your post here. And, remove this comment before actually posting!]
    John

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: upgrading from 1.5.4 to 1.5.6c - upgrade/installation in root vs /store

https://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3...d-of-upgrading will tell you the proper way to go to a new version while keeping the old up and running.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: upgrading from 1.5.4 to 1.5.6c - upgrade/installation in root vs /store

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBuckle View Post
    I am upgrading from 1.5.4 to 1.5.6c. If you have an install in your root directory as opposed to /store/ is it possible to install the new version in a directory such as /upgrade/ for testing purposes and then when all is good have the tested upgrade moved to the root?
    Yes it is. Also it is possible to golive in a subfolder, and create .htaccess statements redirecting visitors to the subfolder.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Depending on your host, you may also relocate the directory/path to which the domain name is pointed so it doesn't matter what sub-directory name exists on your server, your customers always see your domain name.

Note that (improper) movement of a site to/from a Web side folder has the potential to affect links identified to an existing store.

Movement of a site is made even easier if all links within the code/store are relative to the store and not hard-coded to require adjustment of sub-folders and the like. With the files and data being relative, the site can be called anything and stored in any sub-directory and the site can be moved/placed anywhere.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...