Plugin Contributions

Default E-mails for failed orders because of the credit cards

Hi,

So recently someone tried to use my site to test credit cards (a fraudster) & I was never notified this happened.

Had it not been for the costs I had to pay per transaction from my internet gateway, I never would have known.

The gateway doesn't tell me by sending e-mails.

Please tell me ZC does, b/c my website coder did look & told me there's no way to get notices.

Thanks
    Providing you with financial services for your business - merchant accounts, echeck solutions, small business loans, and chargeback prevention services. Exceptional customer service.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: E-mails for failed orders because of the credit cards

Kind of depends on a few things. There is a section of code that clears the shopping cart of the visitor after a specified number of failed attempts. That code could support sending a notification if that is/was triggered, but even then there are some considerations. What will/can be done when such a notification comes in? Hasn't the "deed" already been done? If it's an issue that they repeatedly tried to come back again and again, could setup a simple account lock after customer has failed that loop so many times, but what's to say they won't create a new account and start over.

Anyways, no there is no built in notification of such failed attempts. Incorporating a notification also depends on how the payment method operates, but being open source code, I would expect it would be possible to add code somewhere to make the notification.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

I'm confused here. Please explain where your process is such that a transaction is done and you get no notice.

I don't see how you can be charged for a transaction if none were completed. If you are charged for a transaction, it normally would have to have completed and monies collected before a withdrawal for fees. The mere fact of a completed transaction should trigger an e-mail.

If your payment gateway charges for failed transactions, that's fraud.

Lots of words here to say, "Does not compute!" Can you explain more please?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    I'm confused here. Please explain where your process is such that a transaction is done and you get no notice.

I don't see how you can be charged for a transaction if none were completed. If you are charged for a transaction, it normally would have to have completed and monies collected before a withdrawal for fees. The mere fact of a completed transaction should trigger an e-mail.

If your payment gateway charges for failed transactions, that's fraud.

Lots of words here to say, "Does not compute!" Can you explain more please?
    The bad guys do that to test cards after purchasing the numbers to sort out the invalid/cancelled cards.
    Yes, there is a charge for each swipe by some processors, even if the order is not completed.
    IIRC, the core zencart credit card modules have code built in to block after XX attempts.

I'm not sure if auth.net debug logging has a notify option for that, or if it does, might require a subscription to their advanced features.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    There is a section of code that clears the shopping cart of the visitor after a specified number of failed attempts.

Where is this code located?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckPhillips View Post
    Where is this code located?
    It is part of the checkout_process processing: includes/modules/YOUR_TEMPLATE/checkout_process.php. There are notifiers that can be used to work with the validation of resetting or taking action associated with slamming.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    The bad guys do that to test cards after purchasing the numbers to sort out the invalid/cancelled cards.
    Yes, there is a charge for each swipe by some processors, even if the order is not completed.
    IIRC, the core zencart credit card modules have code built in to block after XX attempts.

I'm not sure if auth.net debug logging has a notify option for that, or if it does, might require a subscription to their advanced features.
    Thanks for knowing what was going on :)

I don't use auth.net, they are terrible, but where can I control how many attempts in ZC b/c this person tried like 15 or so times.

Thanks again
    Providing you with financial services for your business - merchant accounts, echeck solutions, small business loans, and chargeback prevention services. Exceptional customer service.