Plugin Contributions

Default [Not a bug] Admin_Pages > page_key categories in 1.5.6c

This was discovered in a fresh install of 1.5.6c after installing the Mod List plug in. No categories or products were installed at the time.

Installing the Mod List mod (should be core in my opinion) gives the admin a look at added mods, configurations, and tables. One of them that shows up with a new install of 1.5.6c is a listing for Page Name 'Category' with a menu_key of 'catalog' and a display of 'N'.

This admin_page is created by line 2146 of the mysql_zencart.sql contains
    Code:
    ('categories', 'BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORY', 'FILENAME_CATEGORIES', '', 'catalog', 'N', 18),
    Having the install sql create this page_key will not be known to a user UNTIL the Mod List plug in is installed. The display_on_menu setting of 'N' means the user will not see the choice. Loading the Mod List mod DOES show the link and, when clicked, takes the user to the admin/categories.php page. The page presents itself fully including the footer but, there is no information on the page. At first, I thought, "where are the categories?" With no categories created, my next thought was, "Why doesn't it give me the option to create a category?"

Apparently, a fresh install creates an admin_page that is not used nor normally shown to the admin.

Then, I looked at an upgrade from 1.5.5f to 1.5.6c.

If someone were to upgrade from 155f to 1.5.6c, the mysql_upgrade_zencart_156.sql lists (starting at line 164)
    Code:
    ## alter admin_pages for new product listing pages#NEXT_X_ROWS_AS_ONE_COMMAND:6
    UPDATE admin_pages
    SET language_key = 'BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORY',
        main_page = 'FILENAME_CATEGORY_PRODUCT_LISTING',
        display_on_menu = 'N',
        sort_order = 18
    WHERE page_key = 'categories';
    Note that both the clean 1.5.6c install and the upgrade admin_pages are set to NOT show up as a menu choice.

Also, the upgrade changes the main_page to 'FILENAME_CATEGORY_PRODUCT_LISTING'

This already exists in the admin_pages table in page_key categoriesProductListing with BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS as the language_key. And, this page_key is set to display in the Catalog Menu.

As I can't seem to find any use for the categories admin_page or the admin/categories.php, I'm wondering if they were left over from something previously changed or is there some use I am not seeing.

Regardless, I think something needs to be done to not have this listing show with the Mod List mod. Changing the install/upgrade sql files would seem to be the better choice.

I can just imagine the panic of a store owner with 100s of products after clicking on the Category link in Mod List. "Where are my products!?!?"

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin_Pages > page_key categories in 1.5.6c

Thanks for reporting this. Need to noodle on the best way forward.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Would you please create an issue in Github so this gets tracked to resolution?
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Priority is customer at present. Too busy finding changes that create problems.

Plugin Contributions

I've been staying out of the conversation because of a little bit of confusion on my side. I thought it got cleared up when the github issue to be "logged" was incorporation of Mod List into 1.5.7, but then there was a discussion of "both" items being important. So I'm trying to figure out what item(s) are considered important/issue?

- We have a value that is in the database but is not shown to the normal user.
    - We have a tool that is not currently integrated with every system that is built from this point forward.
    - That tool is making data accessible that is not immediately available to the normal user.
    - And because that tool displays that information there seems to be some need to change something.
    -- Whether the tool hides it, it is outright deleted from the database or the upgrade process is changed to not operate the way it did.

I mean, even though this was discovered while the database was empty, the same display occurs when the database has information and upgraded...

I obviously don't understand the issue and I don't see what the problem is of that extra piece of information being displayed. Why would I want to have a tool that is meant to display "hidden" information further hide information? What tool would one get to show the information hidden by the tool meant to show hidden information?

Further on that, the result of clicking that "link" is the same as if a link were kept in one's browser to the admin/categories.php file... should some sort of redirect be incorporated into the Zen Cart software to prevent accessing that link?

(trying to understand)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    I can just imagine the panic of a store owner with 100s of products after clicking on the Category link in Mod List. "Where are my products!?!?"
    I'm confused: why are storeowners using this "mod" (whose sole purpose is to identify site alterations) to navigate their store?????

Installing the Mod List mod (should be core in my opinion)
    If people are going to use this tool to navigate their store then I definitely don't want it in core.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

This admin_page is created by line 2146 of the mysql_zencart.sql contains
    Code:
    ('categories', 'BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORY', 'FILENAME_CATEGORIES', '', 'catalog', 'N', 18),
    The key is used for controlling profile permissions. If you don't tick the "Catalog" box for a profile, then the Category add/edit buttons will say Access Denied.

It seems this is a bug with mod_list.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    The key is used for controlling profile permissions. If you don't tick the "Catalog" box for a profile, then the Category add/edit buttons will say Access Denied.

It seems this is a bug with mod_list.
    I think they are both using a common 'collection method' thus making the extra category show on the mod list.

Scott will have to determine if Mod List can avoid the extra item and still correctly collect needed info.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    I'm confused: why are storeowners using this "mod" (whose sole purpose is to identify site alterations) to navigate their store?????

If people are going to use this tool to navigate their store then I definitely don't want it in core.
    Here's where I guess we agree to disagree

The forum is filled with "Where do I...?" And "How can I find ...?" questions from store owners who don't have (or take) the time to become as familiar with the admin menu layout as they should. Additionally, several of today's useful mods are controlled in more than one location. Quick Updates and News Box Manager are two used on our most current 1.5.7 site.

Before Mod List, the store owner was always confused as to where the changes for Quick Updates needed to be made. They kept going to Configuration and wondering how they could change a particular product.

The new Plug In manager was often looked for in Configuration versus the Module menu.

Should it be a touted feature of Mod List? Probably not.

Does it change the mission of Mod List? Certainly not.

Is it possibly a helpful navigation tool for the store owner? In our case, it has proven to be yes.

It's the little extra that pushed me over the top for supporting addition to core.