Plugin Contributions

Default Braintree and Paypal Express Checkout

I could be wrong, but I think there is a conflict when the payment modules of Braintree and Paypal Express Checkout are used AND a customer goes through the checkout path created by the Paypal Express Checkout button (customer details pulled from Paypal rather than the Zen-Cart site).

For a long time I have used the payment processeor Paypal Express Checkout (for Paypal) and Paypal Payments Pro (for CC processing).

I recently removed Paypal Payments Pro and activated Braintree instead.

I then had instances (maybe once a day) where orders had:
    - the correct ship to details
    - no bill to details
    - customer details that didn't match the ship to and instead matched an existing different customer
    - Paypal invoice/transaction ID's assigned which matched other transactions
    - no actual charge in Paypal (so it wasn't just that the transaction ID's were incorrectly recorded in the Zen-Cart database)

The only fix was to remove the Paypal Express Checkout button.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Braintree and Paypal Express Checkout

It's possible there may be an incompatibility between the 3rd-party Braintree module and the built-in PayPal Express Checkout module.
    If Braintree is causing troubles, you'll need to work with someone who knows that module in order to fix it.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Express checkout is not the best option, much better to use PayPal smart payment buttons based on checkout v2 (latest version of checkout software by paypal)
    - Freelance Software Developer

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by web-project View Post
    Express checkout is not the best option, much better to use PayPal smart payment buttons based on checkout v2 (latest version of checkout software by paypal)
    Are you saying that using v2 with the braintree software discussed as is that there are no problems? Or is this just a general statement unrelated to the specific problem?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Still have some of these instances, so it might just be Braintree in general.

I'm going to turn it off, turn Paypal Payments Pro back on and see if the issue keeps occurring.

I don't think "PayPal smart payment buttons based on checkout v2" has been built into a plugin for Zen-Cart by anyone yet.

Plugin Contributions

I should be more clear.

The blank bill to and instances of orders not actually billing plus duplicate transaction ID's has stopped.

Now instead it is bill to/ship to being attributed to the incorrect customer account. It happens in less than 1% of transactions.

I should also note that I have COWOA installed.

Plugin Contributions

Did you look in the Braintree support thread here? Might be worth checking although I do not remember seeing your problem mentioned but then my memory is less than perfect!

Plugin Contributions

I turned off Braintree and still had 1 order with this issue last night.

So it isn't Braintree (although for Braintree I only changed it to 'false' for active, I didn't totally uninstall.)

I have a nearly identical site that doesn't have these issues.

Sorry I am not able to provide any information that is actually actionable.

I am mostly focusing in on the fact that some customers are able to make it through checkout without ever creating an account. One customer in this scenario emailed afterwards saying there was nowhere to enter their email address. Based on the checkout flows I think are active, that isn't possible.

Plugin Contributions

I am 99.99% certain this was caused by some ads using a link that contained a zenID. I don't think it iwas a bug in Braintree or Paypal.