Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Coming back to eCommerce with Zen-Cart

I have been gone from the eCommerce business for several years now, and have decided to start up again. I have a few general questions.
    1. What Credit Card Processing companies are you using that you are happy with?
    2. How about internet gateway companies? Is all of that the same as before?
    3. What about this new Tax in every state thing? Is that a pain in the rear?
    4. My site will be a new install; any advice? (I have installed several V1.5.1). Should I wait for new version (for example)
    5. Back in the day, (some zencart) people didn't care very much for GoDaddy. That's where all of my Domains are hosted, and personally (other than their non-existent technical support with problems) I never had any problems with them.. my question... Will Go-Daddy be ok for hosting?
    6. Any general advice? I will be building a professional / and consumer (DJ's type) Lighting website with hundreds of products.
    7. Thanks in advance!!!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Coming back to eCommerce with Zen-Cart

1. All of our customers are happy with PayPal Express and Square.
    2. See number 1. Not many use merchant accounts these days because of the extra cost.
    3. State taxes are still in limbo. Many rules make smaller businesses exempt with smaller volume of sales.
    4. NEVER use anything other than a ZC downloaded zip.

• Load basic files
    • Clone responsive_classic to myBasic or similar name
    • Add color change mod and change colors to suit your style
    • Clone that template to myResponsive or similar name
    • Load products and images
    • Adjust the template to get the look you want
    • Add payment and shipping mods as needed
    • Add must-have (not looks good) mods
    • Sell

5. If you're not concerned about who or what is on your server with you, go for it. However, Zen Cart is one of a very few places where you get MORE than what you paid for. GoneDaddy will bleed you dry with "extras" that pop up when you least expect it. Bandwidth, databases, sub-accounts, redirects, and on and on. Just one server problem without the host pointing fingers at everyone in the world EXCEPT themselves is worth far more than what you will save.
    6. Don't get swallowed into the sliders, 1,000 image, whiz bang, store-bought templates. Most professionals are looking for facts and features. AND, the search engines that bring you traffic are incapable of seeing the sliders or images. Concise photos of product with extreme details will win in the end.
    7. You're welcome

Plugin Contributions

Welcome back?!1. I've been fine with good Ole PayPal though also am signed up with Square and have made WePay functional, though not via the method they currently prefer/support.2. In many cases the companies have changed a bit, there still is a group recommended to avoid, but that really should be based on reviews of others that have used them. 3. My primary usage is with a tax exempt not-for-profit organization, so the tax thing is not something with which we deal but seems like there are a few ideas out there about how the state associated tax will be addressed/handled. There's been some discussions on GitHub about it.4. Waiting for the next version is a relatively futile effort. There will always be a next version so should just install the latest version (now 1.5.6c) version 1.5.1 will not out-of-the-box run fully on current support systems such as the latest PHP 7.3.x and/or latest mysql server... 5. That particular company has had some unusual configurations and many Zen Cart users have had trouble while some have not... general recommendation has often remained to avoid that company for hosting. Probably mostly because of the level of support, the continuous and seemingly unnecessary upselling and in some cases the unusual configurations necessary for software to just work.6. Do what is necessary to begin selling. Create a backup type site to make changes, play around and break things before incorporating the changes into the live/actual site.7. If this was of any help, you're welcome. If not, sorry.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

GoDaddy? More like D-ohhh! Daddy. You'll be happier if you host elsewhere but it's your decision.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

I'll just share my thoughts on #5 - if you're hosting a simple plain HTML site showing your grandma's garden and how she enjoys doing flower arrangements for the local church's Sunday mass, then GoDaddy hosting is a perfect choice for you but only if you bargain the price to $2 per month.
    If, however, you plan to run your business website, I'd pass their offer even if it comes with a free summer house on Florida (and that's not because I don't want to live near Scott )

Domains are a different story and personally I find GoDaddy the best registrar and all of my domains are registered through them. Just don't confuse domain registration with hosting.

Plugin Contributions

A summer house in Florida wouldn't be so hot anyway. (Or actually, it would be *too* hot and thus undesirable.)

Canada's the place to be in the summer - you could hang out with Dr. Byte! :)
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

disregard this one..
    Last edited by Johnnycopilot; 21 Oct 2019 at 01:11 AM. Reason: replied with quote..

Plugin Contributions

disregard this one too..
    Last edited by Johnnycopilot; 21 Oct 2019 at 01:12 AM. Reason: replied with quote

Plugin Contributions

finally, disregard this one too. I replied with quote..
    Last edited by Johnnycopilot; 21 Oct 2019 at 01:13 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Welcome back?!1. I've been fine with good Ole PayPal though also am signed up with Square and have made WePay functional, though not via the method they currently prefer/support.2. In many cases the companies have changed a bit, there still is a group recommended to avoid, but that really should be based on reviews of others that have used them. 3. My primary usage is with a tax exempt not-for-profit organization, so the tax thing is not something with which we deal but seems like there are a few ideas out there about how the state associated tax will be addressed/handled. There's been some discussions on GitHub about it.4. Waiting for the next version is a relatively futile effort. There will always be a next version so should just install the latest version (now 1.5.6c) version 1.5.1 will not out-of-the-box run fully on current support systems such as the latest PHP 7.3.x and/or latest mysql server... 5. That particular company has had some unusual configurations and many Zen Cart users have had trouble while some have not... general recommendation has often remained to avoid that company for hosting. Probably mostly because of the level of support, the continuous and seemingly unnecessary upselling and in some cases the unusual configurations necessary for software to just work.6. Do what is necessary to begin selling. Create a backup type site to make changes, play around and break things before incorporating the changes into the live/actual site.7. If this was of any help, you're welcome. If not, sorry.
    Thanks!! would you mind recommending a hosting company? Or at least point me in the right direction?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast