Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: News Box Manager v3.0.0 [Support Thread]

Hi Cindy,

I've upgraded from 1.5.5f to 1.5.7b and need to install your version 3.0.5 - my new database contains the tables box_news and box_news_content, with data, from your version 2.3.6, transferred from the 1.5.5.f data base. So that I can keep those articles what would be the best approach for the new install??

I'd really appreciate your assistance.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

News Box Manager went from 2.2.1 to 3.0.0 with no in between. Make sure you are talking the correct mod. If you still are sure it's NBM and are concerned about the installation of the DB, check the readme.html in the Docs folder under installation.

It will tell you how to wipe out the old database. Removing other files would involve determining the exact version, downloading it, and using it as a guideline in old file removal.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    News Box Manager went from 2.2.1 to 3.0.0 with no in between. Make sure you are talking the correct mod. If you still are sure it's NBM and are concerned about the installation of the DB, check the readme.html in the Docs folder under installation.

It will tell you how to wipe out the old database. Removing other files would involve determining the exact version, downloading it, and using it as a guideline in old file removal.
    G'day dbltoe, yep should have been 2.2.1 to 3.0.5, my error. There is no information in the readme that I can find that covers what I am specifically looking for. v2.2.1 is not installed on the site so it is just the database tables that I'd like to preserve, or more accurately the data in those tables.

My take on it would be to install the plugin and after install delete the two tables, then upload the saved copy of those tables - the saved copy is of the same zc version, i.e. they came from the v1.5.5f site but existed in 1.5.7b version before database upgrade was performed hence exist already in the upgraded 1.5.7b database. The database table names are the same as v2.2.1 according to admin/includes/extra_data_files/news_box_manager_file_database_names.php from version 3.0.5

If there are any issues I then do another full reinstall so it is a virgin install, with no data in the tables, and ready to use. Then look to try something else - like putting the old v1.5.5f site in a folder of the 1.5.7b site and then open that old site live and simply copy the typed text of pages giving me a copy of the articles I can then copy and paste into the new site version.

I was hoping there may have been an easier way (e.g. not upload certain files in the install for example, hence not overriding the existing tables) but it is what it is.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    G'day dbltoe, yep should have been 2.2.1 to 3.0.5, my error. There is no information in the readme that I can find that covers what I am specifically looking for. v2.2.1 is not installed on the site so it is just the database tables that I'd like to preserve, or more accurately the data in those tables.

My take on it would be to install the plugin and after install delete the two tables, then upload the saved copy of those tables - the saved copy is of the same zc version, i.e. they came from the v1.5.5f site but existed in 1.5.7b version before database upgrade was performed hence exist already in the upgraded 1.5.7b database. The database table names are the same as v2.2.1 according to admin/includes/extra_data_files/news_box_manager_file_database_names.php from version 3.0.5

If there are any issues I then do another full reinstall so it is a virgin install, with no data in the tables, and ready to use. Then look to try something else - like putting the old v1.5.5f site in a folder of the 1.5.7b site and then open that old site live and simply copy the typed text of pages giving me a copy of the articles I can then copy and paste into the new site version.

I was hoping there may have been an easier way (e.g. not upload certain files in the install for example, hence not overriding the existing tables) but it is what it is.

cheers,
    Mike
    Mike, as you noted, there's been no database "schema" changes (i.e. no database layout changes) going from News Box Manager v2 to v3.

I'll suggest simply exporting the box_news and box_news_content tables via your site's phpMyAdmin from the v155f site's database and then importing into your v157b database.

Plugin Contributions

I've just submitted v3.1.0 of News Box Manager (v3) for the Zen Cart moderators' review; I'll post back here when it's available for download.

This version enables integration with SiteMapXML, so that your site's sitemap can also 'point to' your site's news articles.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Mike, as you noted, there's been no database "schema" changes (i.e. no database layout changes) going from News Box Manager v2 to v3.

I'll suggest simply exporting the box_news and box_news_content tables via your site's phpMyAdmin from the v155f site's database and then importing into your v157b database.
    Thanks for getting back to me Cindy - so I did the install of 3.0.5 and it actually 'upgraded' v2 and maintained the data - all my articles are intact. Absolutely MARVELLOUS ... so I had nothing to worry about afterall (albeit better to be sure than sorry).

thanks again,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

I've just submitted v3.1.0 of News Box Manager (v3) for the Zen Cart moderators' review; I'll post back here when it's available for download.

This version enables integration with SiteMapXML, so that your site's sitemap can also 'point to' your site's news articles.
    I look froward to that SiteMapXML integration Cindy - no doubt will help keep the articles in front of Google.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Hi Cindy,

in admin/tools/layout boxes controller when I activate the news_box_sidebox.php it shows as it should but the content also shows on mobile directly under the logo as two boxes with article title, before anything else on the site. So I cannot see how to obviate that. Side box layout configure is as it should be, left/right>on, single column>off and zero. news_box_sidebox2.php does the same thing - something appears to be telling it to show in the header in mobile?

I cannot see anything in configuration that selects that on/off.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    Hi Cindy,

in admin/tools/layout boxes controller when I activate the news_box_sidebox.php it shows as it should but the content also shows on mobile directly under the logo as two boxes with article title, before anything else on the site. So I cannot see how to obviate that. Side box layout configure is as it should be, left/right>on, single column>off and zero. news_box_sidebox2.php does the same thing - something appears to be telling it to show in the header in mobile?

I cannot see anything in configuration that selects that on/off.

cheers,
    Mike
    What template is in use, Mike?

Plugin Contributions

What template is in use, Mike?
    Responsive Classic

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast