Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Setting attributes

I am using V1.5.6c
    I have charging cables for mobile phones and there are 5 colors all same price. I am trying to set the attributes so people can choose a color and i am honestly totally lost on how to do this.
    I have searched the forum but there doesn't seem to be a good guide on how to go about this.
    Anybody have any ideas ?
    If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything !!!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Setting attributes

Admittedly, the Zen Cart forum's search is not the best. Try searching Google for attributes Zen Cart and look at the articles indicated there.

Plugin Contributions

For this topic I usually go to the FAQs search in the upper right corner and type attributes as my search criteria. There's way more items that come up than are highly useful, but there are some starter items that go into setting option names and option values, etc...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Hello
    I have done that and there is nothing much that comes up dated later than 2004 and that is not very clear about the process. I have switched back to the Responsive classic template and it looks horrible. https://www.wilstv.com/index.php?main_page=index
    If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything !!!

Plugin Contributions

As suggested by dbltoe, Mr Google...

https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...to-my-products
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
    I have switched back to the Responsive classic template and it looks horrible.
    Perhaps Google "How to not look horrible."

Seriously, take a deep breath and concentrate on one thing at a time. It looks as if you have simply loaded Zen Cart and added two items.

If you wish to fix the design first, I suggest using the clone a template mod to create a new template from the responsive_classic and then use the color change mod to modify the new template to meet your color/layout needs.

Then, go to the Option Name Manager and decide what options an item might have. i.e., Color, Make, Model, Length, etc.

Take the USB C 3,1 Type C to 3.5.... You appear to need Model for the phone model, MAYBE Length for the cable length (if avail in 6", 12", 36", and 72"), and Color if it's available in different colors.

You would create Option Names of Model, Length, and Color.

Then, in the Options Value, you would create entries for each of the Names. I suggest the Value one of every option be something like "Please select the (insert Model, Length, or Color)" This is used to make sure the customer makes a selection.

Once you have created all the Option Values and Names for a product, you can apply them in the Attributes Controller.

Let's say the Cable came in Red, White, and Blue. In the attribute controller, you'd go to the product and set it to display. Then go to the ADDING NEW ATTRIBUTES Section and select Color under Option Name. Under Option Value, you will see four options: Please Select a Color, Red, White, and Blue.

Select Please Select and make it Order 0 (zero). Next, set the yellow and orange flags to yes. This makes the Please Select what the customer sees and forces them to make a selection in order to add the item to their cart.

Next, add the Red, White, and Blue each in turn. Set them to sort orders 10, 20, and 30 to leave room to add other items if needed later.

That's pretty much it for color. If the option of length is offered, you will need to add the additional cost of the longer cables. That's done in the Price block. If your cable started at $4.95 and increased a dollar for every 6 inches, the first Length would have no price while 12" would have a 1 (one) in the price. 36" would have 5 and 72" would have 11. So, if a person selected a 36" red cable, their price would show as $9.95 in the cart.

You can see why your option of "Others" would not work in this scenario. You really MUST know what the customer wants in order to fill the order. Doing attributes as I listed above allows that to happen.

Can you go crazy with this? https://gomagnetic.com/index.php?mai...products_id=93

Can you let the customer know what the price will be with the options? https://allpecans.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=115

Can you give the customer a pictorial example of the product? https://allpecans.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=153

Can you impose a one-time fee for one of the options? Select size 11, 12, or 13 at https://russianradiantsa.com/index.p...roducts_id=818

As you can see, the Attributes Controller with its Options and Values can be very powerful. It also requires time to learn and propagate. Hang in there.
    Last edited by dbltoe; 4 Nov 2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added links for suggested mods

Well, i followed your instructions and as far as the layout is concerned i can do that later. I only need color for the cables and as far as i could decipher from your instructions , the only other thing was i assigned an image to the colors in the Attributes controller the site still looks the same.

Plugin Contributions

Slightly off on the instruction following. One can order without making a selection as you've made the white the default instead of the "Please Select a Color". You will get lots of angry emails that they "didn't want white." If they have to make a selection, they can't later say that the system ordered what they did NOT want.

Secondly, (and not being able to see in your admin makes this a WAG) it appears that you have set the images as additional images rather than attaching them to the value item in the attribute controller.

Where you store and name the images can make a difference as well. Images for attributes should be in the attributes directory inside the images folder. If the file is attached to the value correctly, you will see a circled, yellow dot next to the value. Looks like it should be as the images on your site are in the attributes directory.

Then, check to make sure your Admin >> Configuration >> Attribute Settings >> Enable Attribute Images is set to true.

Then, check to make sure your Admin >> Configuration >> Attribute Settings >> Enable Attribute Images is set to true.
    It is and it was set to true.
    In the attribute controller i select edit from the list, then i enter the price, order, and down below i select the image associated with that color. I do this for every color and i end up with what you see.
    There are and were yellow dots beside the name of the color indicating there is an image attached to that color.

Name:  Screenshot_1.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  17.7 KB

Plugin Contributions

Okay, here's where I'm embarrassed and apologize for stringing you on. We use our own version for installs on our server and have a server-licensed product that accomplishes what is trying to be done here. We've been using it for so long that it's just a natural thing to see it there and happening. Looks like we licensed this around 2014 and have good results with it.

BUT, that's not helping you get the swap you want. I've done some more searching today and find that https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=699 has been upgraded to work with 1.5.6.

You might want to check that out to see if it puts the icing on the cake for you.

If you still have problems after the addition of the mod, I will load a test on one of our servers to test the combination.

Again, apologies for the confusion. Maybe this will get you where you want to be.

BTW One thing we have not discussed thus far in this thread is the use of the Options Name Manager to adjust the "look" of your attributes. In the Options Name Manager, click on update for Color. Almost below the fold, you'll find the form for adjusting the display of the attribute's option. Since this is ONLY a dropdown option, there is only one box of the form that applies to the value Color.

Setting the number of Attribute Images per Row: will prevent the images from slamming up against each other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast