Plugin Contributions

Default How can I change default sorting of products to be not by name but by model

Not a question of life and death here,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to easily change default sorting of products in categories in admin - I would like to have them sorted primarily by model...

Thanks for any suggestion

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How can I change default sorting of products to be not by name but by model

in your admin, got to configuration => LayOut Settings ,and edit "Categories/Products Display Sort Order"

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How can I change default sorting of products to be not by name but by model

If you want to leave the catalog side alone, you could search the admin for: CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS_SORT_ORDER and where that constant is initially used, you could substitute the value for your desired sort order. Document this heavily and I would suggest just commenting out the assignment/use rather than removing the text completely:

So instead of:
    Code:
    = '2';
    Would suggest something like:
    Code:
    = '2'; /* CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS_SORT_ORDER; */ // value modified to default to products_model 19-12-27
    Oh, and sorry, I used Design75's suggestion along with having enabled the ability to see the configuration_key associated with the configuration in question to then search the admin files for that configuration_key and see how it is/was used. I found logic associated with the above content.

The above should help a little to find the code solution, if it's nowhere close to enough to help, shout out. While there's a little to be enjoyed from self-discovery, sometimes the job just has to get done. :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, guys, I was not clear enough - I´m thinking about changing default sort order for admins (so in category_product_listing.php, I suggest), not for customers

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Doomm View Post
    Sorry, guys, I was not clear enough - I´m thinking about changing default sort order for admins (so in category_product_listing.php, I suggest), not for customers
    my solution is for the admin

Plugin Contributions

OMG, I feel ashamed :-( Supposed this is for the catalog without trying it first - yes, you are right, this is, what I wanted, thank you both for help, buddies