Plugin Contributions

Default Installing in root and in subfolder

I've been using Zencart successfully for 10 years. I want to move my home page to the root (e.g. www.yourdomain.com), but keep the rest of the system in a folder, such as store, so that they will be in www,yourdomain.com/store. Has anyone done this, and if so, what would have to changed. Right now I do it with a redirect, but it makes it www,yourdomain.com/store. I want the home page to stay in www.yourdomain.com.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installing in root and in subfolder

Not sure what's the purpose and objective with JUST the home page being in root, and everything else in a subfolder - I'd really love to hear why. But OK...

You would need a plain HTML site in your root which would be your landing page, and then links that take you to the store. There are simple ways of doing this (but basically hitting a fly with a sledgehammer) and there are some more refined ways where you design the landing page as you like.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    Not sure what's the purpose and objective with JUST the home page being in root, and everything else in a subfolder - I'd really love to hear why. But OK...

You would need a plain HTML site in your root which would be your landing page, and then links that take you to the store. There are simple ways of doing this (but basically hitting a fly with a sledgehammer) and there are some more refined ways where you design the landing page as you like.
    Yes... I've already tested it with a static HTML page (taken from the dynamic home web page in the Zen Cart folder). I was kind of hoping for not having to create the static page, but if that is the only way, it is manageable.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Why not just move your entire site into the root?
    unless...
    You have a LOT of other NON shop stuff in the root, in which case the static link works

Plugin Contributions

It has to do with SEO.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ECGuy View Post
    It has to do with SEO.
    OK... Then use a 301 redirect to fix that

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ECGuy View Post
    It has to do with SEO.
    I was expecting this... But, if it's just your landing page in root, and then everything else in a subfolder, you're actually stabbing yourself in the back. So, unless you actually have something in root, like multiple HTML pages or even another platform like WP, I don't think you're going the right way with this. A simple 301 redirect from root to /store would IMHO be a much better solution, especially from an SEO perspective. But, I'm not an SEO expert so you might wanna triple check this statement.

Plugin Contributions

redirecting the entire store from a folder to the root will cause the site to be sandboxed for some time (how long depends on the health of the site) and the redirects have decay and not all rank will be returned once Google is satisfied that you weren't hacked or something and it's safe for visitors. inbound link juice is also NOt redirected at all and completely lost.

~Melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.