Default v156c Checkout Confirmation html tags exposed

v156c I'm having a problem with Step 3 of 3 checkout confirmation. Installed on a Windows server. Connecting to PayPal IPN displays ok as my processor. No errors in logs when all the html exposed, but can't execute transaction since no button to complete purchase is available. Testing with responsive classic. Upgraded from v155 on a different Windows server. Database shows correct information from restore. No problem with Step 1 or 2 and Step 3 works OK for FREE download items, but when I enter items with a price, all the html code and tags are exposed like this:

{"breadCrumbHtml":" Home<\/a> > \n Home and Garden<\/a> > \n Checkout<\/a> > \nConfirmation\n","confirmationHtml":"
    \n\n
    Step 3 of 3 - Order Confirmation<\/h1>\n\n\n
    \n
    Billing\/Payment Information<\/h2>\n
    Edit <\/span><\/a><\/div>\n\n

……………………………etc............................................

I suspect the problem might be related to tpl_checkout_confirmation_default.php but this file seems to have some basic differences from other checkout templates I downloaded. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: v156c Checkout Confirmation html tags exposed

Our application is hosted on Windows Server 2012 R2 which has ample support for SSL and TLS 1.2. CURL tests with PayPal are positive. We are configured for PHP 7.1 and MySQL 5.5. The template tpl_checkout_confirmation_default.php version is declared as:
    * @version $Id: Author: DrByte Fri Jan 8 00:33:36 2016 -0500 Modified in v1.5.5 $