Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Classic Responsive text too small says Google

Google keeps telling me my text is too small and I have to agree with them. Default text is extremely small. I have been banished by google with the small text. Is there a reason why the default text size is so small. 72.5% line 27

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Classic Responsive text too small says Google

Seems to me that 72.5 is a mistake. Browser default font-size is 16px and in the past standard practice was 62.5% is set on the body to make doing the math for em/rem sizes easier. If you look at the stylesheets for classic template and template default you will see that it is set to 62.5%

Therefore:

Body font-size = (62.5/100)*16 = 10px making 1em = 10px, 1.1em = 11px, 1.2em = 12px so on and so forth

So if you want to scale all text on the site up in size you can mess with the body font-size because all font sizes set with em/rem will scale up based against that number
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Oh, and don't remove the font-size:whateveryouset% from there as it is required because of a bug in IE6/7 (don't know if it went higher than that or not) with font scaling in certain situations.
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

I can't speak for the author(s), but 72.5 is larger and should not be having a problem. Changing the root font-size to 62.5 will only make the font smaller. IMHO, the 10% increase was added specifically for mobile readability.

All the out-of-the-box responsive_classic font-size properties are em or percentages based on the 72.5% root setting. Playing with the root percentage changes every text accordingly.

netzencommerce.com is the stock Zen Cart site we use to demo the color changes for responsive_classic (it's the only mod) and it tests in the green for mobile readability with Google's Mobile-Friendly Test.

Perhaps something has been added in one of the stylesheets to modify that root setting.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by barco57 View Post
    Seems to me that 72.5 is a mistake. Browser default font-size is 16px and in the past standard practice was 62.5% is set on the body to make doing the math for em/rem sizes easier. If you look at the stylesheets for classic template and template default you will see that it is set to 62.5%

Therefore:

Body font-size = (62.5/100)*16 = 10px making 1em = 10px, 1.1em = 11px, 1.2em = 12px so on and so forth

So if you want to scale all text on the site up in size you can mess with the body font-size because all font sizes set with em/rem will scale up based against that number

Where is the body font size defined exactly? Id like to check to see what its set at.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    I can't speak for the author(s), but 72.5 is larger and should not be having a problem. Changing the root font-size to 62.5 will only make the font smaller. IMHO, the 10% increase was added specifically for mobile readability.

All the out-of-the-box responsive_classic font-size properties are em or percentages based on the 72.5% root setting. Playing with the root percentage changes every text accordingly.

netzencommerce.com is the stock Zen Cart site we use to demo the color changes for responsive_classic (it's the only mod) and it tests in the green for mobile readability with Google's Mobile-Friendly Test.

Perhaps something has been added in one of the stylesheets to modify that root setting.
    I just went to netzencommerce and the text is minuscule, just like mine on the android. Google has been bugging me about this for a long time and it has taken a toll on my ranking. This is an obvious problem that needs to be corrected. Users will suffer in SEO if it is not corrected. IMHO

Plugin Contributions

Here is a screenshot of the google webmaster tools complaint. They have sent me numerous emails complaining.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pixelpadre; 19 Jan 2020 at 01:06 PM.

Plugin Contributions

It is set right in the begginging of the stylesheet.css line 12
    Code:
    body {margin:0;font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:72.5%;line-height:140%;}
    Bootstrap sets it to 1em which basically sets base font-size to the browser default. So just change the font-size to what you need it to be. All of the fonts on the site that use em/rem will scale off of that base size, so start there.

@dbltoe I wasn't suggesting for it to be set to 62.5% I was explaining why it was probably set to what it was.
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by barco57 View Post
    @dbltoe I wasn't suggesting for it to be set to 62.5% I was explaining why it was probably set to what it was.
    Knew you weren't. Just wanting to point out the reason it was there to anyone who "assumed" the 72.5 was incorrect in that it needed to be changed. Felt I needed to clarify the that in
    Seems to me that 72.5 is a mistake.
    I knew you were really trying to convey that the font should actually be larger and really not be a problem. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. One thing I hate about messages, emails, text, forums, etc is how the real meaning is often not understood. Great! Now, did I say that enthusiastically or sarcastically with malice dripping off of it?

PP - have you tried seeing what https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly has to say about your site? I know netzencommerce is small because no adjustments were made. However, the Google site says, "This page is easy to use on a mobile device."

I've had a situation with Google in another area this week that leads me to believe something ain't right. Got a site that does 301 from anywhere to the correct https://that_site.com. No matter what device, location, www, http, etc.; it resolves to https://that_site.com. Yet, Google and WooRank are hounding me that it doesn't redirect from https://www.that_site.com to https://that_site.com. All other test sites state that all redirects are fine.

netzencommerce uses our newest color change mod and an additional stylesheet (stylesheet_zcustome.css) to store most all of the changes we make to stylesheets. If we didn't want to mess with the 72.5% for the site's main body, we could make a @media call to set the font-size based on a certain screen size. Most mobile phones are less than 768 pixels wide in landscape and, when you get larger than that (tablets), font-size is no longer as reLevant as it was for mobiles.

Adding
    Code:
    @media (min-width:0px) and (max-width:768px){
    body {font-size:75%}
    }
    makes the font larger on the mobile phones. You can adjust the numbers in red up or down as you feel necessary. As Barco57 pointed out, font is in 16ths. This makes the base font-size 12. I've made that change to netzencomerce if you want to take a look.

Could it be that 72.5 versus 75 was the original "mistake" in responsive_classic? Looks better through my trifocals.

HTH

Plugin Contributions

I just looked on my android and I still need a magnifying glass to read it. (netzencommerce)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast