Plugin Contributions

Default How to stop spam when registering a new user

Hello,

For several weeks we have a problem with registering new customers as spam. The reason we use the old version 1.3.7.1 is because we have a significantly modified e-shop and upgrade to the new version is not possible.

Can anyone help how to stop spam when registering? Below is an example of registering a new user.

Name:  test.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  33.0 KB

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to stop spam when registering a new user

Quote Originally Posted by moskyt View Post
    The reason we use the old version 1.3.7.1 is because we have a significantly modified e-shop and upgrade to the new version is not possible.
    I see this excuses often, but with all the security fixes, is the risk to your business and customers safety worth an upgrade?

Now then.. If you did fix the security issues, then its more of an issue with PHP version, if you are not up to version 7.x then nonCAPTCHA would not work. Maybe Google reCAPTCHA, but again you would have to use an older version, but its supper easy to get the hack for it.

Because the hack that's being used to create spam users doesn't use your forms, the fix in NonCAPTCHA makes use of an observer and Regular Expression filter. The filter is set for PHP7.x and may not work below that so you would have to modify to work with your versions of PHP and ZC!

I don't have anything that old to test with so that's about the only info I can offer, maybe someone else can give you more help. Post what version of PHP you are using!
    Dave
    Always forward thinking... Lost my mind!

Plugin Contributions

You really need to upgrade. The damage that hackers can do to your store because it is so outdated will be much greater. My store although upgraded to 1.55f at the time was getting hit a lot with china visits. I could see them trying to login, I kept getting spam messages, etc. I finally had to cut my losses and just start with a clean copy of 1.56 as the template I was using was so old and the creator hadn't done any updates on it for years. I wasn't able to keep my customers purchase history/order information but it's better than having to deal with hacks.

After installing the new copy I add the updates that I needed. I still get their visits but feel more safe keeping the store updated. I also had to add captcha plugins.

I now keep a log of all the plugins I install and any special details I had to do for each plugin, date and backup(s) name so I can always use it to recreate my store.

I'm not sure there are any plugins that old that could do captcha but you may want to check and see.

Plugin Contributions

You need to modification of registration process simply use method to verify the email or mobile phone and if customer don’t or unable to verify than these customers can be deleted automatically.
    - Freelance Software Developer