Plugin Contributions

Default Looking for step by step tutorials

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if there are any step by step tutorials using Zencart v1.5.6c? I have gone through the Quick Start Guide, read the Tutorials/FAQs but, with all due respect, everything seems all over the place. I am a novice at this and so far have been able to understand some of the directions. We are also using the "Goodwin - Premium Multipurpose Zen Cart Theme" and it's coming along fine (https://estore.marinlatinfoods.com/i...ain_page=index) however, configuration for our store can not be totally done in the "Goodwin Theme" which I am sure you already know. It must also be in conjunction with Zen Cart, however, some of the Zen Cart areas are very confusing to me.

Any help that anyone one can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Looking for step by step tutorials

AFAIK, there's no such guide available, especially not for commercial template such as Goodwin. It IS a great template and I love it, but being a commercial product, it's not very likely you'll be getting much support for it here on the forums.

There are LOTS of stuff that this template has modified or has bypassed the standard Zen Cart system so some configuration settings might not make a difference.

I suggest you start with actual questions, specific to the exact problem you're trying to solve and someone here might be able to help you.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much for that advice.

I found, "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart (3rd edition)." According to Amazon they state: "This book will help readers install and configure their online stores using the free and open source Zen Cart software. It covers Zen Cart v1.5.0."

Have you ever heard or read this tutorial book?

Once again, thanks for the help.

Plugin Contributions

Can't say I read the book, but IIRC it is (or was) the official guide. There have been quite some changes since 1.5.0 but the book might get you started and cover the basics. You'll pick up the differences as you go.

But still, there's a lot to learn and you can get most (if not all) of the information you need from the forum. Most questions have already been answered and a simple Google search can easily give you an answer. If you can't find it, feel free to ask.

Plugin Contributions

The book explains the configuration options in the admin and their effect on the store front. Most of it is still relevant to the current version. I bought it and never used it. It does not touch on how to modify the code.

Since everyone's idea of the "end point"/a perfect store is different, the steps to get there are also different, so there are none.
    If 99% of users want the same thing, it is probably in the code already or there will be an add-on that does it.

But, is it highly unlikely that you are the first person to try and do "whatever", so get yourself clear what the single problem is you wish to solve and use google (not the forum inbuilt search) to search this site for the answer. On your first search, check related threads at the bottom, they are often very relevant.

If you can't find the answer, post one specific question in a relevant section and you'll usually get an answer.
    The step by step bit is what you need to do: posting a barrage of questions in one post will get ignored.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks balihr, your help is appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you torvista for your input. Between you, balihr and my business partner Bernie, I'm sure I'll do well.

"I'll be back!"