Plugin Contributions

Default Headless Zencart

I am exploring building some modules which extend zencart without touching the core. I asked on another post if anyone knew what files would need to be changed in order to extend the template system to use symphony and twig. I had no response but lots of views.

My question for today is whether it is practical to build a module which makes zencart headless, by which I mean turn off the core templating system and extend it so zencart can be used in any website with any cms. I cannot see any plans to do this in the zencart development roadmap unless I am missing something.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated
    Last edited by budgetdevs; 16 Jan 2020 at 06:11 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Headless Zencart

I would think that would require the building out of a full API for Zen Cart
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by budgetdevs View Post
    I am exploring building some modules which extend zencart without touching the core. I asked on another post if anyone knew what files would need to be changed in order to extend the template system to use symphony and twig. I had no response but lots of views.

My question for today is whether it is practical to build a module which makes zencart headless, by which I mean turn off the core templating system and extend it so zencart can be used in any website with any cms. I cannot see any plans to do this in the zencart development roadmap unless I am missing something.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated

Do you want to turn the template system off or manipulate it to keep it modular when connecting with other platforms?

Think perspective, if you see Zen as a module not just a complete e-commerce solution - it's quite simple to do. The trick is literally building the new path and staying away from the core or building a custom template just for the new path/connection and making use of the bits of Zen you need as most functions are already available in Zen - they just aren't being used.

Where to start is an actual plan that includes features required and client use/data flow models, then we look at the code and decide what stays of Zen, and what needs to be coded to work/communicate with the alternate methods.

Another important guide is to code the bridge to keep it all working together regardless of future Zen updates or system requirements and vice versa with the CMS. Getting the data to the branch of code that does a good job already is the key to efficiency and not reinventing the wheel.

Once you realize the potential - it's just time and money ;)
    Twitch.
    http://www.twitchtoo.com - Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Wholesale + Attributes, ZC 1.38 - 1.56c - Expert Site Migration & Upgrades!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply and the excellent comments. I am thinking this should be a standalone module which has hooks to call different functionality from the main zencart core. This is why I was asking about what files are needed to seperate the template system. The new API module can be built out using symfony because there are tons of ready to use components available, but it requires switching the zencart template system to use twig instead.

There is a lot of potential for a zencart module which allows the store owner to switch on/off the core options so it can be customised endlessly to suit their needs. It would also allow module developers to contribute bigger and better add-ons which further extend the core. For example the zencart admin has not changed since it has been launched but there are just tons of nice GUI's out there which could easily be dropped in given the right framework to work with, all without touching core code.

As you rightly say, it is more about time and money though and I am interested in figuring out just how much is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchtoo View Post
    Do you want to turn the template system off or manipulate it to keep it modular when connecting with other platforms?

Think perspective, if you see Zen as a module not just a complete e-commerce solution - it's quite simple to do. The trick is literally building the new path and staying away from the core or building a custom template just for the new path/connection and making use of the bits of Zen you need as most functions are already available in Zen - they just aren't being used.

Where to start is an actual plan that includes features required and client use/data flow models, then we look at the code and decide what stays of Zen, and what needs to be coded to work/communicate with the alternate methods.

Another important guide is to code the bridge to keep it all working together regardless of future Zen updates or system requirements and vice versa with the CMS. Getting the data to the branch of code that does a good job already is the key to efficiency and not reinventing the wheel.

Once you realize the potential - it's just time and money ;)