Default Set all products as TAXABLE GOODS permanently?

I am very new at using Zen Cart and I am by no means a programmer. However, I am good at figuring things out and following directions.

I have set all of my products as TAXABLE GOODS. I have it set so that only orders with a California address are taxed. Everything works great.

I upload a .csv file to manage my inventory. I do not have a column on this spreadsheet for the Tax Class. So if I ever upload the .csv to update product inventory or prices, those products will no longer be identified as TAXABLE GOODS on Zen Cart. I would then have to change the Tax Class for those items back to TAXABLE GOODS.

1. Can I set Zen Cart to permanently keep all products set as TAXABLE GOODS without needing to have a Tax Class column in my .csv file?

2. If I do need a Tax Class column in my .csv file, would the header name for Tax Class be v_products_tax_class?

3. If I do need the Tax Class column in my .csv file, how do I make sure that column will be added to the .csv file that I download from Zen Cart? Meaning, when I need to download my current inventory from my store, I download a .csv file. I'm not sure how to make changes to the file that would be downloaded from Zen Cart.

Thank you for your help and patience. I will be glad to better explain myself if anything is not clear.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Set all products as TAXABLE GOODS permanently?

Quote Originally Posted by Oryan View Post
    I am very new at using Zen Cart and I am by no means a programmer. However, I am good at figuring things out and following directions.

I have set all of my products as TAXABLE GOODS. I have it set so that only orders with a California address are taxed. Everything works great.

I upload a .csv file to manage my inventory. I do not have a column on this spreadsheet for the Tax Class. So if I ever upload the .csv to update product inventory or prices, those products will no longer be identified as TAXABLE GOODS on Zen Cart. I would then have to change the Tax Class for those items back to TAXABLE GOODS.

1. Can I set Zen Cart to permanently keep all products set as TAXABLE GOODS without needing to have a Tax Class column in my .csv file?
    Probably with a bit of custom coding, but not out of the box.

2. If I do need a Tax Class column in my .csv file, would the header name for Tax Class be v_products_tax_class?
    Looks like you're using EasyPopulate. In that case, I suggest you do a Full Export and see what column header is used. The latest version uses "v_tax_class_title" and you would put "Taxable Goods", but I think older versions used "v_products_tax_class" and you would (most likely) need to put 1 which represents the tax class ID.

3. If I do need the Tax Class column in my .csv file, how do I make sure that column will be added to the .csv file that I download from Zen Cart? Meaning, when I need to download my current inventory from my store, I download a .csv file. I'm not sure how to make changes to the file that would be downloaded from Zen Cart.
    If you do a Full Export, the Tax Class column should be included in the csv file. You probably just have a simplified csv template.

There's also an alternative - you could run an SQL command from "admin->Tools->Install SQL Patches" immediately after you import your csv file.
    Code:
    update products set products_tax_class_id = '1';
    Of course, this is under the assumption that your Taxable Goods tax class is ID 1. You can easily check that by going to "admin->Locations/Taxes->Tax Classes" and you'll see the ID next to the tax class name.