Plugin Contributions

Default Editing Billing and Shipping Addresses at Checkout

I've seen that it is possible for a customer to enter a new shipping address, or alter their billing address during checkout. However, I have not found a way to allow the customer to update their billing or shipping addresses such that the new info is saved in their profile. Is there a way to do this with the native Zen-Cart? The system only saves the new address info for that one transaction. Seems there should be a box to check if they want the info saved as their new account address or not.
    Here is what I'm attempting to do ...
    I want to be able to add people who sign up for my newsletter to my customer database with just an email address and name (which I am able to do!). If at a later date, they decide to buy a ship-able product, I want them to be able to update their address info during checkout and save it in their profile as their current information.
    thanks in advance for any info or suggestions!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Editing Billing and Shipping Addresses at Checkout

There's always a way, via custom programming.
    Last edited by lat9; 25 Jan 2020 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Correct misspelling

Plugin Contributions

If you bypass the required fields during login with a custom code you will create a condition similar to COWOA Checkout Without Account - separate from modules already available in the Zen plugins.

Another code gets written - during checkout if they get past the shopping cart they will be asked for billing/shipping data or they can't checkout.

Legally you should add a db flag/record for CASL or similar archiving to indicate how the information was collected from the customer.

Lightweight and doesn't change the natural flow of the stock Zen Cart for future upgrade versions :)
    Twitch.
    https://www.twitchtoo.com Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Base7 with Wholesale PRO - 88 preinstalled plugins zero errors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi, the question was, "Is there a way to do this with the native Zen-Cart?" So, I assume by your response that you believe the answer is "no".

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply! I did not have to bypass any required fields with custom code, I only required email address, password and name and an account was created as usual. These "customers" would only need to update their address info in the event of a physical purchase. So please explain why you mentioned COWOA, because I do not see the connection that you see.
    You also said "another code gets written". Not sure what you mean by that phrase. I think you meant, "Code must be written to..." But correct me if I'm wrong.
    Zen Cart already allows for editing the shipping information during checkout, as I explained in the original post. I was just wondering if ZenCart already has a way of saving the new address info or not. Thus saving the customer from having to enter their profile to change the address info. If not, we could always display a message during checkout that, "addresses typed during checkout are only used for the current order".
    Last edited by mrsawyer; 25 Jan 2020 at 11:52 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks to twitchtoo and lat9 for your replies. Keep up the good work!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mrsawyer View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I did not have to bypass any required fields with custom code, I only required email address, password and name and an account was created as usual. These "customers" would only need to update their address info in the event of a physical purchase. So please explain why you mentioned COWOA, because I do not see the connection that you see.
    You also said "another code gets written". Not sure what you mean by that phrase. I think you meant, "Code must be written to..." But correct me if I'm wrong.
    Zen Cart already allows for editing the shipping information during checkout, as I explained in the original post. I was just wondering if ZenCart already has a way of saving the new address info or not. Thus saving the customer from having to enter their profile to change the address info. If not, we could always display a message during checkout that, "addresses typed during checkout are only used for the current order".
    As answered on what appears to be a duplicate post of this (https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....69#post1365269), the address "added" to support payment and/or shipping to an address other than the original default address *is* saved unless something has been modified (code added or changed) about a default install. It becomes a part of the customer's profile to include selection upon the next order, but the default remains the default until modified in the customer's account record.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mrsawyer View Post
    When we restrict the inbound information on occasion it has ties to other 'features' built into or being used by other modules on the create account or split create account page.

The values passed or anything looking for a particular value pulled from the account input and confirmation either needs to be muted or at least traced to ensure all the backend data fields are maintained.

If they don't apply and won't apply then easier for you :-)

One Example:
    The record keeping tasks CASL requires can be affected when data is missing. Audits with incomplete data can be expensive.

Another Example:
    You may want to look at the features included in a module like COWOA to see any coding ideas or methods you would like that have already been used elsewhere.

And yes if you wirte a code for the shopping cart/first checkout page it could be a great place to see which accounts stop at the cart or convert, as well enable or disable timed data recording for security/compliance with your local requirements.

Or not at all if you'd like the cart to stay closer to stock.
    Twitch.
    https://www.twitchtoo.com Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Base7 with Wholesale PRO - 88 preinstalled plugins zero errors.