Plugin Contributions

help question Seeking explanation of Define Page Status options for Contact Us

I'm looking for a more clear explanation of what the four options for each Define Page value. The info in admin just says:
    Enable the Defined Contact Us Link/Text?
    0= Link ON, Define Text OFF
    1= Link ON, Define Text ON
    2= Link OFF, Define Text ON
    3= Link OFF, Define Text OFF
    But I don't really understand what effect "Link ON/OFF" and "Define Text ON/OFF" has. I did an amount of searching on this form for this but didn't find anything that explains this. I suppose I could just experiment and see what happens when I change the value to each option.
    Ellie Armsby

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Seeking explanation of Define Page Status options for Contact Us

Generally speaking each such control supports the display of to what it refers. Ie. Do you want the contact us link to appear on the site? Do you want the define page text to be displayed?

There are only a few places within the default code where the database constant (DEFINE_CONTACT_US_STATUS) is used to control the display of the link to the contact us page. An idea behind it is, if the link is not shown, then one would be "deterred" from accessing the contact us page. It doesn't become unavailable, but harder to find. Additional code (templates or sideboxes) may not have incorporated the switch and so it may not prevent display from that/those locations.

The define page aspect is the content that is editable from tools->define pages that typically is made available for the page identified in the main_page= portion of the Web address. The define page allows adding additional information for the customer to see at the top of the page.

There is some more information I would expect in the FAQ or possibly in the docs (link above) on the use of the define page...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Ok, I think I sort of understand.

I was hoping these settings might help me turn off some things from the mobile menu in the Responsive Classic template, but sounds like not. I will post in that theme forum about how to control what appears in that pop-up menu (the hamburger icon in mobile view).
    Ellie Armsby

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by earmsby View Post
    Ok, I think I sort of understand.

I was hoping these settings might help me turn off some things from the mobile menu in the Responsive Classic template, but sounds like not. I will post in that theme forum about how to control what appears in that pop-up menu (the hamburger icon in mobile view).
    It is one of the items in the hamburger menu and is controlled by that switch, but contact us is elsewhere also that is controlled by that switch.

Anyways, that menu should be editable at: includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/templates/tpl_modules_mobile_menu.php
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by earmsby View Post
    I'm looking for a more clear explanation of what the four options for each Define Page value. The info in admin just says:

But I don't really understand what effect "Link ON/OFF" and "Define Text ON/OFF" has. I did an amount of searching on this form for this but didn't find anything that explains this. I suppose I could just experiment and see what happens when I change the value to each option.
    Most of those Define Page Status settings identify whether a page-link is/isn't to be displayed within the Information sidebox and whether/not to display the contents of the define_page on its associated Zen Cart Page.

Those that are exceptions to the above rules are:

Define Main Page Status. Although the full range of 4 settings are indicated, only those associated with the Define Text are actually used on the home/main page.

Define Checkout Success Status. As above, but for the checkout_success page.

Define Page-Not-Found Status. Only provides the Define Text settings (as should the above two!).