Plugin Contributions

Default Store processing when email is rejected

I'm concerned that the store may have exceeded the host's quota limit for sent emails. When the quota is exceeded, all emails are blocked for one hour and must be resent by the sender. Does ZC still only archive email messages that are received successfully by the host? Are rejected emails stored some place in the database so they can be sent later when the load is not so high?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Zen Cart processing when email is rejected

Quote Originally Posted by Dave224 View Post
    I'm concerned that the store may have exceeded the host's quota limit for sent emails. When the quota is exceeded, all emails are blocked for one hour and must be resent by the sender. Does ZC still only archive email messages that are received successfully by the host? Are rejected emails stored some place in the database so they can be sent later when the load is not so high?
    Unless there has been some customization, Zen Cart archives all outgoing emails sent by ZC whether they were successful or not. In fact, the ability to reliably detect that an email was successfully received does not actually exist. There is always something along the line that could refuse to transmit the success of sending/receiving a message as a matter of security/privacy.

To accomplish the requested task have to enable email logging and then even still the archive email manager may strip some of the html out of the email. Need to review the forum thread for it to see about that and it's impact on resending the message.

Of course, could use a system/service that is designed to support such mass emailing such as mail chimp...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    In fact, the ability to reliably detect that an email was successfully received does not actually exist. There is always something along the line that could refuse to transmit the success of sending/receiving a message as a matter of security/privacy.
    I can understand the ability to reliably detect that an email was successfully received by the customer is a challenge, but is that true on the part from ZC running on a host's server to the host's mail server? If the mail server sends a rejected message back to ZC, what, if anything, does ZC do? Does it log an error?

Plugin Contributions

No, it doesn't because the processing of a rejected or bounced email is handle by the email server outside of what Zen Cart can see. For ZC to handle that the newsletter functionality would have to be expanded to be more like something like phplist, which is Newsletter and email marketing software that you can host along side your ZC but allows for throttling to a sending level lower than your hosts hourly limit, bounce processing, etc because it accesses your email account direclty. ZC does not throttling and sends all emails as quickly as it can which triggers limits set by the host. Are you likely to see full newletter functionality in ZC...NO, in fact I argue it should be removed entirely and be replaced with the email export function so that users can take their list to places like Mailchimp and constant contact where you will get far more use out of it and better email analytics. Any store serious about their business, not a hobby, would need and want as much analytics as they can get from all sources including their marketing campaigns.
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Unless there has been some customization, Zen Cart archives all outgoing emails sent by ZC whether they were successful or not.
    This is an optional feature which is disabled by default. See Admin->Configuration->Email->Email Archiving Active.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Dave224 View Post
    ...If the mail server sends a rejected message back to ZC, what, if anything, does ZC do? Does it log an error?
    A mail server doesn't send a rejected message back to Zen Cart. It sends a rejected message back to the email address of the sender. The Zen Cart software does not monitor email queues. As @barco explained, "No, it doesn't because the processing of a rejected or bounced email is handle by the email server outside of what Zen Cart can see. "
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.