Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Send customer a link on checkout

This may be obvious but is there a built-in way to send, in the checkout email, a custom link related to the product(s) purchased?

I'm looking at a customer buying a video - hosted elsewhere, with the order confirmation email sending a link to that video. Similar to the downloadable product attribute I guess, but without the need to include a file download. One way would I suppose, to put the link in a pdf and have the customer 'buy' that.
    Simon

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Send customer a link on checkout

Quote Originally Posted by simon1066 View Post
    This may be obvious but is there a built-in way to send, in the checkout email, a custom link related to the product(s) purchased?

I'm looking at a customer buying a video - hosted elsewhere, with the order confirmation email sending a link to that video. Similar to the downloadable product attribute I guess, but without the need to include a file download. One way would I suppose, to put the link in a pdf and have the customer 'buy' that.
    obvious? i do not know.... easy? for some... for others, probably not....

the best way, IMO, is to use an observer. in the order class on line 1127, there is a hook known as an observer that would allow you to modify the email message just before sending it:

PHP Code:
    $this->notify('NOTIFY_ORDER_INVOICE_CONTENT_READY_TO_SEND', array('zf_insert_id' => $zf_insert_id'text_email' => $email_order'html_email' => $html_msg), $email_order$html_msg); 
    you would then need to construct an observer to looks at the order and modifies the email accordingly based on the products in the order. this would be the cleanest way to do it as you do not modify base code.

perhaps there are other ways to do it, and someone else might chime in, but that's how i would go about it.

you can review this link for more info on it:

https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....in-order-class

good luck,

good luck.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you, I'll take a look.
    Simon

Plugin Contributions

Remember, too, that some payment methods are automatic and some (like moneyorder) aren't. Make sure that the product's actually paid for before including that text in the email/order's history.

Plugin Contributions

Ah yes, that's a good point, I have both Paypal and Square set to authorize only - I might have to rethink those.
    Simon

Plugin Contributions

On perhaps another note, if this video is hosted elsewhere and a link were to be provided in an email (upon completion of payment), is the linked item controlled further still so that the email doesn't just get forwarded around and "everyone" is able to get to it?

Basically is there some uniqueness between the purchase and the purchaser to limit access to the product to ideally just that individual or one time "use"?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

If you want to make it a link to a web page or some static content (ie: the same link/content for every order), you can always use the Order Message feature built in to Zen Cart 1.5.6.
    Just set the define EMAIL_ORDER_MESSAGE in includes/languages/english/email_extras.php.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

I get a lot of customers who want the download link in an email. I know Woocommerce has a plugin that does that, and Shopify does, as well, but I like Zen Cart.

Is there any way to add links to the files purchased in the confirmation email?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jmsnyder23 View Post
    I get a lot of customers who want the download link in an email...

Is there any way to add links to the files purchased in the confirmation email?
    Is the link supposed to be sent even if the order hasn't been paid in full yet? (eg: authorize-only payments or check/moneyorder not cleared the bank yet, etc)

Is the link supposed to work for "anyone" even if the customer isn't logged-in to their account on your store? ie: unlimited downloads to anyone who finds the link even if the order-email is forwarded around the world?

Aside: related documentation on downloadable products: https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/produ...ivery_methods/

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Our products are ebooks, and the only payments we accept are PayPal and Square. So the store is configured to mark orders paid by these methods as delivered.

Ideally, customers would get a link to their specific download file in an email. Even after 10 years in business, many don't seem to hang around after the confirmation payment screen to click on the download link.

I recently bought something from a store that uses Woocommerce and liked the fact that the download link was in the email I got. I just wondered if it were possible to do something similar in Zen Cart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast