Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 1.5.4 to 1.5.4c upgrade disaster

Sorry about that! No good deed goes unpunished, so they say. I really do appreciate the help, if it's any consolation.

I'm trying to do what I can behind the scenes but without an in depth knowledge of zencart, Apache, MySQL and PHP I can only get so far. I did once write a MySQL/PHP application from scratch but it was such a long time ago that I've forgotten most of what I learned.

So let me try to resolve the confusion. As I was getting nowhere using EasyPHP17 I switched to UniSever and started over. The known working 1.5.4 version is giving the banners.php error above. The database is the untouched one from backup so that can't be the issue.

Really, running 1.5.4 is just a check for server configuration. With that in mind I tried 1.5.6. That seems to work aside form when I try to access the admin side. I can log in but then get a PHP error. It looks like a table in the database is missing. Perhaps it didn't get upgraded?

PHP Fatal error: 1146:Table 'zencart156.admin_notifications' doesn't exist :: DELETE FROM admin_notifications WHERE notification_key NOT IN ('') ==> (as called by) C:\Users\nick\test_store\store_1.5.6c\comfort\includes\classes\AdminNotification s.php on line 153 <== in C:\Users\nick\test_store\store_1.5.6c\includes\classes\db\mysql\query_factory.ph p on line 171.

In case upgrading was the issue, I re-did the 1.5.6 install from scratch, merged required files from 1.5.4 etc, etc and got exactly the same error.

The errors 1.5.4. ans 1.5.6 both suggest a database or db access problem. Is there some common configuration factor that could cause this? Maybe it's the db import? Access privileges?
    Last edited by CScotty; 18 Apr 2020 at 08:42 PM.

Plugin Contributions

To add, just in case the question gets asked, I did the 1.5.6c install using the 1.5.4 database so it should have been upgraded. I see there a number of sql scripts that do the db upgrade and the I see that one of the steps is to add the admin_notofications table. Inspecting the db I see, as I think we already knew, that it's not there. So the db upgrade is silently failing.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, I haven't looked at all the post but, it sounds like you did not do the database upgrade. The installer will not do it for you.

If you run your_site.com/zc_install and see an option to upgrade the database, it has NOT been updated. Run the update database option and nothing else. Running install will wipe out what you've done.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CScotty View Post
    Sadly the mysql fix only worked one time. It then ran into a issue with corrupting the user name / password and locked me out. I recall I had the same issue with easyPHP16, had to jump through many hoops and eventually gave up and went back to easyPHP14. Rather that fight this again with esyPHP17 I've decided to give Uniform Server a try out. Sadly I'm still not out of the woods as now I get a fatal php error.

[17-Apr-2020 19:07:35 Europe/London] PHP Fatal error: 1525:Incorrect DATETIME value: 'null' :: select banners_id, date_scheduled
    from banners
    where date_scheduled != 'null' ==> (as called by) C:\Users\nick\test_store\store\includes\functions\banner.php on line 43 <== in C:\Users\nick\test_store\store\includes\classes\db\mysql\query_factory.php on line 155

Any suggestions please?
    if i may be so bold... it sounds like you are having a mysql strict mode problem. i am guessing that in strict mode, datetime of null is not an acceptable value.

it sounds like you resolved that previously, but it did not last. when you restarted mysql, strict mode started being enforced again because your change only affected the running instance of mysql, and you did not change the default that loads when mysql restarts.

it also sounds like you have complete control over your box, i'm guessing a slice. system administration requires some research and some work, or you need to have a managed slice.

i would again check the current running mode, change it, find out how to make it permanent based on your operating system and mysql version, and see if that resolves your issue.

good luck.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Sorry, I haven't looked at all the post but, it sounds like you did not do the database upgrade. The installer will not do it for you.

If you run your_site.com/zc_install and see an option to upgrade the database, it has NOT been updated. Run the update database option and nothing else. Running install will wipe out what you've done.
    Correct -thanks. I had assumed the installer would do it. So it's now almost working.

What I cannot do is change or preview templates. It's using the one I created for 1.5.4. but the default Classic and Responsive options are missing. Why would that be? The template folders are present for these.

The preview for them is there but it causes a "Secure Connection Failed" message. I'm pretty sure that's because I haven't configured the sever SSL yet so not a worry at the moment.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    if i may be so bold... it sounds like you are having a mysql strict mode problem. i am guessing that in strict mode, datetime of null is not an acceptable value.

it sounds like you resolved that previously, but it did not last. when you restarted mysql, strict mode started being enforced again because your change only affected the running instance of mysql, and you did not change the default that loads when mysql restarts.

it also sounds like you have complete control over your box, i'm guessing a slice. system administration requires some research and some work, or you need to have a managed slice.

i would again check the current running mode, change it, find out how to make it permanent based on your operating system and mysql version, and see if that resolves your issue.

good luck.
    Good idea, thanks. I changed the my.ini file to remove strict mode so that I now have

[mysql]
    no-auto-rehash
    # Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
    #safe-updates
    sql_mode=NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

That did not fix the NULL error problem. I have a suspicion that it might be the php version in use which is 7.3. On the real web server I was using PHP 5.4. Since I have 1.5.6c just about working I'm not going to put any more effort into 1.5.4.

Yes, all this server admin stuff is a steep learning curve. My brilliant idea of have a 'safe' test environment on my PC is starting to look as though it's more trouble than it's worth.

Onward and upward!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CScotty View Post
    Good idea, thanks. I changed the my.ini file to remove strict mode so that I now have

[mysql]
    no-auto-rehash
    # Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
    #safe-updates
    sql_mode=NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

That did not fix the NULL error problem. I have a suspicion that it might be the php version in use which is 7.3. On the real web server I was using PHP 5.4. Since I have 1.5.6c just about working I'm not going to put any more effort into 1.5.4.

Yes, all this server admin stuff is a steep learning curve. My brilliant idea of have a 'safe' test environment on my PC is starting to look as though it's more trouble than it's worth.

Onward and upward!
    w regards to the NULL problem, did you restart mysql? unless you restart it, those changes will not take effect.

having a test environment on your pc is a BRILLIANT idea. it does take time to get things figured out. and your test environment must mirrot your live environment including the server and versions.

some times you spend more time configuring your environment and your workflow than actually doing any work. but the investment in "infrastructure" pays off in the long run.

do you have everything under version control? if not, look to do so. makes it much much easier. most people now use git.

have fun.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

@carlwhat

I did restart so it remains a mystery.

I have 1.5.6c running on the real server but still not in my test environment. It's all down to SLL, I think. Once I enabled SLL on my local server things changed depending in what I set the admin configure.php line "define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://localhost');" to. It's not clear what it should be the the variable is "HTTP_SERVER" but the descriptive text mentions HTTPS. On the real server I used the HTTPS domain. Locally my HTTP port is 8080 and HTTPS is 8081. So I tried

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://localhost:8080'
    and
    define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://localhost:8081'

with
    define('HTTP_CATALOG_SERVER', 'http://localhost:8080/store_1.5.6c');
    define('HTTPS_CATALOG_SERVER', 'https://localhost:8081/store_1.5.6c');

neither worked. In one case I could not load the template.php (IIRC, uses HTTPS) and the other I could not load any template preview jpg's. I suspect that 1.5.6c just can't be made to work with non-standard ports.

Plugin Contributions

Yes it works with non-standard ports.
    No, you don't need to worry about SSL for a test site on your local computer.

My local test sites are

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://localhost:8888');
    define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'http://localhost:8888');
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

I never add the ports. Just using works fine for me
    PHP Code:
    define('HTTP_CATALOG_SERVER''https://localhost/FOLDER');
    define('HTTPS_CATALOG_SERVER''https://localhost/FOLDER'); 

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast