Plugin Contributions

Default Opinion on Fresh Food template at themeforest

Just wondering before I buy in.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Opinion on Fresh Food template at themeforest

opinion on fresh food template or themeforest

Plugin Contributions

The template specifically but since I'd be new to themeforest an opinion on that would be welcome as well. Last time (years ago) I had a store I jumped in without much thought and bought a TM template and suffered all the way through. Just trying to avoid the same ordeal.

Plugin Contributions

Anyone?

Plugin Contributions

Your answered your own question really. Each time you make a change to the site's display, you will need to figure out what the template was trying to do; undo it; make it meet ZC standard; and adjust to your real needs.

It's just easier for them to use everything but a standard layout and hope their customer makes no changes.

Yes, there are folks out there that will jump on those templates. They are far braver than I.

I've yet to understand where the theme can be that much more important than the product being sold. We have one customer that outsells all competition with a site that's missing images and has a sometimes confusing layout. However, their descriptions are COMPLETE. Most customers probably never even see anything other than the product, cart, and checkout pages.

Plugin Contributions

Well, I asked for an opinion and I go it. So the first thing I'm going to do is say thank you. I appreciate it.

I know exactly what you're saying and I agree in principle. However, I've been had many businesses over the years and I've always cared deeply how I present whatever it is I'm selling. So I do believe it is important. I don't disrespect that you believe it doesn't matter but by the same token you can't ignore that I feel it is relevant and necessary. I just don't see myself able to take the stock template and make it look like most of you are capable of doing. I'm not a designer nor a programmer. @dbltoe, you have 8 plugin contributions. That's 8 more than I'll ever contribute in my entire life ;) I agree the themes are over the top eye-candy. I just wish there was something for guys like me that can make it look modern without it being such a hackjob.

Plugin Contributions

I mostly agree with @dbltoe, although I've always felt templates are extremely important. I know there are exceptions that can use even the old ugly "classic" template and have fantastic sales, but IMHO those are exceptions. Unless you have unique products that can't be found elsewhere, or your prices are 20% below your competition, people are more likely to shop elsewhere because the other site "looks better". Put it this way - imagine 2 brick-n-mortar shops one next to the other selling the exact same sstuff, the first one is still in the 70s with their walls and decoration and smell and everything, and the other is a modern one. The modern one could even have slightly higher prices and I bet it would get more sales because people simply wouldn't even enter the "old" one... Same with website design and templates.

Now, to answer your question - I've had the misfortune to work with some of the templates from that author. Now, if I got my hands on the author, both Hitler and Stalin would look like ############## compared to me... I've actually declined several projects after seeing the site is using Mo-effin'-zen. If you like the template as is, and don't plan to make any (and I mean any) changes, it might serve the purpose. Anything other than that, either prepare your self for an epic battle or get your wallet ready for the same thing. You say you had suffered with a TM template? LOL, that's kindergarten play compared to what you should expect from this template.
    However, the other author there (perfectus) is quite good and I'm actually a fan. Bloatware yes, but a lot can be done with it if you want.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    However, the other author there (perfectus) is quite good and I'm actually a fan. Bloatware yes, but a lot can be done with it if you want.
    Maybe I'm being dense but I don't know what you mean here. If you prefer to explain via PM by all means, do tell.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by plc613 View Post
    Maybe I'm being dense but I don't know what you mean here. If you prefer to explain via PM by all means, do tell.
    Don't worry, sometimes I don't understand myself either... But that doesn't stop me from talking to myself...

I don't want to advertise templates or authors from themeforest, but if you're looking at the Zen Cart section there, you'll notice how there's a title, followed by a new line "by XYZ in Zen Cart". XYZ is the name of the author. Now look for Perfectus and you'll know what I mean. Goodwin, Alto, YourStore etc. The newer their templates, the better. Not perfect, but very good.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    Don't worry, sometimes I don't understand myself either... But that doesn't stop me from talking to myself...

I don't want to advertise templates or authors from themeforest, but if you're looking at the Zen Cart section there, you'll notice how there's a title, followed by a new line "by XYZ in Zen Cart". XYZ is the name of the author. Now look for Perfectus and you'll know what I mean. Goodwin, Alto, YourStore etc. The newer their templates, the better. Not perfect, but very good.
    Okay, that's what I thought. I just got confused because you suggested themeforest would make template monster seem like a walk in the park. Thank you for your insight. I appreciate it.