Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Order Emails going to Spam or Junk

To clarify, the ZC component here is an email sent from ZC goes to spam but sent from the same email by me does not.

I powered up the PC and the test order that was not spam on the mac sure enough was spam on the PC w/ ESET.

I wonder if I'm not helping myself as my test product is called "test" and is free shipping. Again, the problem happened before any test was conducted.

Plugin Contributions

i look at this thread, and i am reminded of the very first thing i said here:

email is hard.

i will try and explain. you want to send an email, you use your email client which communicates with a sending server. the sending server then sends it to a receiving email server. your recipient then uses their email client to retrieve the email from their receiving email server.

ton of stuff can go wrong along the way.

lets talk about your specific issues.

• zen-cart sends you an email
    • in the initial config, zen-cart functions as the client and the sending server.
    • it goes to your receiving email server.
    • you retrieve the email using your email client on your machine
    • 2nd config, you use fastmail. so now zen-cart sends the email to fastmail, and fastmail then takes over.
    • in your last example, on your mac, you used a different email client than on your PC.

now, lets try and address some of the problems/issues:

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    X-Spam-known-sender: no
    X-Spam-sender-reputation: 500 (none)
    X-Spam-score: 7.0
    X-Spam-hits: FREEMAIL_ENVFROM_END_DIGIT 0.25, FREEMAIL_FROM 0.001, FREEMAIL_REPLYTO 1,
    HTML_MESSAGE 0.001, INVALID_MSGID 1.167, ME_NOAUTH 0.01,
    ME_SENDERREP_NEUTRAL 0.001, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE -0.0001,
    SPF_HELO_PASS -0.001, SPF_NEUTRAL 0.652, SPOOFED_FREEMAIL 1.999,
    SPOOFED_FREEM_REPTO 1.997, LANGUAGES en, BAYES_USED none,
    SA_VERSION 3.4.2
    X-Spam-source: IP='192.185.143.39', Host='gateway31.websitewelcome.com', Country='US',
    when your receiving email server receives the email, it's adding these items to the header. your email is not adding it to the header. your receiving email server does it, so the your email client, ie outlook can use it to determine whether to put it into your spam folder, or delete it, or whatever the heck kind of rule you have on your client.

i really don't care that you have never set up spam assassin or that you are ignorant of its function. that information is put there by the receiving email server. and those items look 99.48797% like spam assassin (SA) information. so unless you can show me proof of some other program on your receiving email server adding that stuff, it was done by SA.

I have a Mac also and the email came in fine!

Header has less in it:

X-Cyrus-Session-Id: sloti2d1t02-1587063261-1479588-2-5578048413692244205
    X-Sieve: CMU Sieve 3.0
    X-Spam-charsets: plain='utf-8'
    i'm unfamiliar with x-cyrus. looks like an opensource email system. without really digging in, it is truly hard to figure out what is going on. and why the headers would be different on your mac client v your pc client.

finally:

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    I quite agree with Carl that using fastmail is a big mistake....
    i never stated this. i have 0 experience with fastmail.

@CosmosK was curious why his spam score went higher. that was due to fastmail triggering those 2 rules, and the relative score assigned by SA to those rules.

that was all i said. and not having used SA for quite some time, i can not even tell you what a high score is... but everything is relative.

i am sorry if somehow my comments were mis-interpreted.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

What are the settings for email transport method and Emails must send from known domain? from admin>configuration>email options? Set your email back to sending from your domain then send one to an address you get from here:https://www.mail-tester.com and see what the score tells you. There are many things that can go wrong. And if you are having trouble receiving email from your site there is a high probability that your customers can experience issues, too.

Zen Cart and it's community are the best!!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lankeeyankee View Post
    What are the settings for email transport method and Emails must send from known domain? from admin>configuration>email options? Set your email back to sending from your domain then send one to an address you get from here:https://www.mail-tester.com and see what the score tells you. There are many things that can go wrong. And if you are having trouble receiving email from your site there is a high probability that your customers can experience issues, too.
    uh, its going to tell you you have no SPF record, its not signed with DKIM, and there is no DMARC.... and it will give you a SA score... which is heavily weighted to the 3 prior elements.

i just did one from one of my clients ZC site: Name:  Screenshot from 2020-04-16 21-29-19.png
Views: 71
Size:  36.6 KB

SPF, DKIM and DMARC are the way to avoid email from going to spam.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post

i never stated this. i have 0 experience with fastmail.
    You said,

> that amounts to almost 4 of your 7 points. and those 4 points are directly tied to you using fastmail.

And I agree: Using a free email client to send commercial email is not a good plan; it will get marked as spam by at least some system.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

I have a Mac also and the email came in fine!

Header has less in it:

X-Cyrus-Session-Id: sloti2d1t02-1587063261-1479588-2-5578048413692244205
    X-Sieve: CMU Sieve 3.0
    X-Spam-charsets: plain='utf-8'
    I may have been looking at a different email header. I think this info is not right. I believe the headers are the same on both machines. I'm confused and frustrated. This is annoying but hasn't shut down my website, so I'm going to walk away for a bit as I feel like continuous testing is making it worse. I've switched the from email back to my domain. Thanks for all the help, I will try to learn from your comments and report back if I find some resolution. Thanks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12