Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Template challenge :)

Resurrecting this just in case we have someone here who knows how to read licenses... I've started working on this, and was expecting to have the template ready by the end of this week and share it, BUT... I decided to play it safe and sent an email to Envato support, which got me scratching my head. I did send an inquiry to the template author and am awaiting their reply, but I'm not planning on offering a buyout or hundreds or even thousands of $ to create a free template... nope...

Here's their license. Looking at the Regular license, it says it allows for (quote) "Use in a free end product (more than one end user allowed)".

If I bought a Regular license for an HTML template, does that not mean I can create an end product (template) which is free allows for more than one end user? I've gone through the license details, FAQs and everything, and couldn't find anything that would state I'm not allowed to do that.

However, this is the reply I received from Envato:
    We appreciate you'd like to clarify the correct use of the license.

I'm afraid our licenses cannot cover a usage where a template is modified to be another template for distribution. Try seeking the author's permission and offer a buyout, but this is going to be outside Envato.

Just a disclaimer: Don't forget that this license is between you and the author. My response is general guidance only and is not legally binding - if you're unsure about the license and how you would like to use the item you may want to think about getting legal advice.

You'll see more info on our Licenses overview page.
    So, right now, I'm in WTF mode - is my English that bad that my understanding of the free end product doesn't include a free Zen Cart template?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Template challenge :)

Licensing is tough. Especially when trying to do open-source stuff.

I can see where the Envato tech support person is coming from by saying "modifying one (paid) template to become another (free) template, while still being largely the same as the original paid template" would be hard to justify at the lowest-price-point.

Best is to get the original template author's permission directly. That removes all ambiguity.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12