Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    29
    Plugin Contributions
    2

    Default contact us redirect loop of death.

    If you've been having problems with the "contact us" link in the information side box, where clicking on the link generates an auto loop error or simply doesn't load, then this fix might be for you.

    This fix applies to v156. You mileage may vary with other releases. You also need to NOT be running ssl on your website.

    That's the problem here. Due to an incorrect setting, the contact_us file assumes you're using SSL so it redirects to your ssl enabled url, which defaults back to the non-enabled url which redirects on and on till it errors out.

    The fix is to edit your includes/configure.php and set ENABLE_SSL to false.

    I spent hours (and likely if you're reading this, you did too) researching this and looking for a solution till I finally dug through the code and sussed it out.

    Please don't post a "Well, duh!" followup. Zen cart has a lot of levers to flip in order to get your site up, its very easy to miss a configuration setting.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    7,469
    Plugin Contributions
    283

    Default Re: contact us redirect loop of death.

    Thanks for taking the time to post this tip.

    The recommended configuration for Zen Cart *is* with SSL though.
    https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/first..._you_need_ssl/
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    29
    Plugin Contributions
    2

    Default Re: contact us redirect loop of death.

    Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post this tip.

    The recommended configuration for Zen Cart *is* with SSL though.
    https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/first..._you_need_ssl/

    Yup, and that's how I got myself into trouble.

    1) Work thru configuration guide, leave ENABLE_SSL on.
    2) Finish setting up web site.
    3) Realize that I *didn't* need SSL
    4) Forget to turn off ENABLE_SSL
    5) ??????? what the heck, contact us!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    N of San Antonio TX
    Posts
    7,635
    Plugin Contributions
    8

    Default Re: contact us redirect loop of death.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSpiffy View Post
    Yup, and that's how I got myself into trouble.

    1) Work thru configuration guide, leave ENABLE_SSL on.
    2) Finish setting up web site.
    3) Realize that I *didn't* need SSL
    4) Forget to turn off ENABLE_SSL
    5) ??????? what the heck, contact us!
    The only reason for not having an SSL in today's world is if you are working on a test site or local test installation. More and more, browsers are denying access to sites that are not 100% https://. Even a showcase site that doesn't handle a single payment should be secured simply to protect customer data.
    Did you read the posting tips?!?
    Responsive Color Changes for 155-156c demo here.
    Zen Cart PCI Compatible Hosting

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    1,691
    Plugin Contributions
    6

    Default Re: contact us redirect loop of death.

    Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    The only reason for not having an SSL in today's world is if you are working on a test site or local test installation. More and more, browsers are denying access to sites that are not 100% https://. Even a showcase site that doesn't handle a single payment should be secured simply to protect customer data.
    even then, i think it is still a good idea to have SSL enabled.

    the whole point of having a test site is to mirror the live site. one can then reproduce errors and correct them on the test site and push the fixes up to a live site.

    considering the number of problems users have with SSL and the configure files, it would behoove one to have their test installation as close to the live installation as possible, that would include SSL.
    practice #socialdistancing #staysafe
    email is hard....
    help out with the green....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    7,469
    Plugin Contributions
    283

    Default Re: contact us redirect loop of death.

    Local testing was just a side note and not the real point of @dbltoe's post (or of this thread).

    All live Zen Cart installations on the public Internet need to use SSL. All file transfer and admin access (Zen Admin or cPanel) must be done securely. This is not optional. BAD GUYS ARE EVERYWHERE. I wish it wasn't this way, but it is.

    If you don't use SSL on your installation, then your admin login credentials traverse the Internet in PLAIN TEXT. You want to get hacked? Because this is how you get hacked.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    15,329
    Plugin Contributions
    17

    Default Re: contact us redirect loop of death.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSpiffy View Post
    If you've been having problems with the "contact us" link in the information side box, where clicking on the link generates an auto loop error or simply doesn't load, then this fix might be for you.

    This fix applies to v156. You mileage may vary with other releases. You also need to NOT be running ssl on your website.

    That's the problem here. Due to an incorrect setting, the contact_us file assumes you're using SSL so it redirects to your ssl enabled url, which defaults back to the non-enabled url which redirects on and on till it errors out.

    The fix is to edit your includes/configure.php and set ENABLE_SSL to false.

    I spent hours (and likely if you're reading this, you did too) researching this and looking for a solution till I finally dug through the code and sussed it out.

    Please don't post a "Well, duh!" followup. Zen cart has a lot of levers to flip in order to get your site up, its very easy to miss a configuration setting.
    Wouldn't you also have problems in the checkout process with the original incorrect configuration? Which was where ENABLE_SSL was true but the site was not otherwise actually using a SSL?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...
    Upgraded to Zen Cart V1.5.3 from V1.5.1 from V1.5.0 from V1.3.9h

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    29
    Plugin Contributions
    2

    Default Re: contact us redirect loop of death.

    Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Wouldn't you also have problems in the checkout process with the original incorrect configuration? Which was where ENABLE_SSL was true but the site was not otherwise actually using a SSL?
    Surprisingly, no. The contact us page was the only problem.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    29
    Plugin Contributions
    2

    Default Re: contact us redirect loop of death.

    Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    The only reason for not having an SSL in today's world is if you are working on a test site or local test installation. More and more, browsers are denying access to sites that are not 100% https://. Even a showcase site that doesn't handle a single payment should be secured simply to protect customer data.
    Another edge case to this scenario is where you've configured your site for SSL, but for whatever reason, your host hasn't. Ive had that happen too.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. v156 Admin Login Loop of Death
    By royaldave in forum Upgrading to 1.5.x
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 31 Oct 2019, 08:08 AM
  2. After Upgrade Contact Us page Redirect Loop Error
    By spawnie69 in forum Upgrading to 1.5.x
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 22 May 2015, 10:50 PM
  3. v153 Contact us page - Redirect loop using default setup with Classic
    By BADBUNNY36 in forum Basic Configuration
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 7 Nov 2014, 08:29 AM
  4. Redirect loop on /admin
    By leeyah in forum Installing on a Linux/Unix Server
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29 Dec 2009, 08:00 AM
  5. Firefox Redirect Loop
    By Jeff_Mash in forum General Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12 Oct 2008, 08:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
disjunctive-egg
Zen-Cart, Internet Selling Services, Klamath Falls, OR