Plugin Contributions

help question Can old products be forwarded to NEW products from previous orders?

There are 4 products that show up under this search thread ( https://www.needtoorder.com/index.ph...gs-202&x=0&y=0 ) . Is there a way to make an old product, when a customer is clicking on "Add to Cart" from a previous order, goto a newer or upgraded product?

ZC1.5.6c
    NTO: building a better network thru collaboration
    www.needtoorder.com | www.coffeewitheinstein.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can old products be forwarded to NEW products from previous orders?

I realized I didn't explain the relevance of the link - there are 4 products, we are considering combining the options of 3 independent products into a singular product. The top product is the combination of the bottom 3 products. Not sure if we want to keep the combined product or the individual products. In the mean time, since customers have ordered both the singular product, for example the 2 part product, and the combined product 2-4 parts and have selected the 2-part attribute, the question that has risen up from our discussion is whether or not, if even possible, to sunset a product and have it forward to a specific product when I customer goes to add the previous product from a previous order, to their cart?

Plugin Contributions

One suggestion that was made was to add redirect entries to the httacess file... any other thoughts?

Plugin Contributions

The concern I would have about .htaccess is that the new product (which is a combined product) probably has a higher price point than the old one, right?

Assuming so, I would set the old product to out of stock (assuming you don't allow add to cart on out of stock items) and just update the description text to point to the new product. If you do allow add to cart for out of stock items, you could set the old product to call for price.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

We will experiment with each of those options from the customer side and determine a best course of action. WISH LIST item: to be able to select a product to replace a previously purchased product so when the customer attempts to add the previously purchased item to their cart, they will automatically get redirected to the replacement product.
    -Cheers

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonless View Post
    We will experiment with each of those options from the customer side and determine a best course of action. WISH LIST item: to be able to select a product to replace a previously purchased product so when the customer attempts to add the previously purchased item to their cart, they will automatically get redirected to the replacement product. -Cheers

Perhaps like installing a car engine on a bicycle, but if the software were installed for other desirable reasons, Ceon URI Mappings would support such a reassignment at least with a little manual manipulation and (after installation) without additional htaccess modifications. Just be careful in your htaccess edits (if used) to not create a cyclical redirect. E.g. Product 1 was changed to 2, 2 to 5, oh and a long time ago 5 was set to redirect to 1... attempting to access any of those would cause a loop.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Should the old product still be accessible? If not, you might consider URL Redirection Manager (here). Works with Ceon URI Mapping like a charm.

I'm not sure if it's built-in or not (can't remember), but if not, you can add a message in messageStack so after the redirect is done, you show a message saying something like "the product you tried accessing is obsolete and we redirected you to it's replacement."

I'm just not sure if this will work with quick re-order sidebox or stuff like that.