Plugin Contributions

Default USPS - Filtering Shipping Options by Weight or Volume

I have Zen Cart running locally on my PC using xampp so that I can test before I do a live install. Its working great everything seems to work.

Zen Cart 1.5.6c
    Database Patch Level: 1.5.6
    v1.5.6c [2020-05-01 14:56:35] (New Installation-v156c)
    v1.5.6c [2020-05-01 14:56:35] (New Installation-v156c)
    PHP Version: 7.3.17 (Zend: 3.3.17)
    Database Engine: MySQL 5.5.5-10.4.11-MariaDB

My question is related to the USPS shipping module, specifically I want to use the Filtering Shipping Options by Weight or Volume. I found that there was another mod that allowed you to do this by MarcoB contributed USPS Shipping Module. However it clearly states that the module doesnt work as of 2013. Does this work with the latest USPS United States Postal Service - Version: 2018-03-28 K10?

I installed the latest version of USPS United States Postal Service module but cant seem to figure out how to get Filtering Shipping Options by Weight or Volume to work.

Any help is appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: USPS - Filtering Shipping Options by Weight or Volume

The USPS plugin was an alternative to the base USPS plugin. Due to USPS changes, it remains broken.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

It may be possible to review the code of that module and identify what actions may be necessary to again support the additional option. Recommendation would be to pull the then equivalent USPS module that did not support both options and compare it to what the module had and see what types of differences were added to support the additional functionality. Then once that is identified, to incorporate that logic into the current module to obtain the expanded capability.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

The current USPS K-10 allows sorting alphabetically, none, Price-low2high and Price-high2low as returned by the USPS rate quote server.

• Sorting by weight might be the easiest sort to add to the K-10 option mix since weight is required to be transmitted to receive a quote.
    • Sorting by volume as the USPSbyMarco plugin is very convoluted. ie: changes the precision of the weight field and requires the volume in cu inches to be added to the weight field of each product individually out in digits 8 or so ( I don't remember the exact position)

The USPS rate quote server changes generally was changes/additions to services (retail or online) and/or slight changes in spelling or nomenclature for existing services.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Hopefully this option will become available soon, I'm sure there are others that want to do the same thing.
    I just want to select the appropriate USPS flat rate shipping box based on the size of the items i am selling and hide all other options.
    So I guess at this point in time there is no way to accomplish Filtering Shipping Options by Weight or Volume. I'm no coder so that would be an impossible task for me to review and change the older module, lol.

Thanks for the information and quick reply's.

Plugin Contributions

FWIW,

We know how many 'things' will fit into various USPS boxes and limit/filter the weight ranges of the various FR boxes so that if the combination of 'things' exceeds the box, it is removed from the selection offering.

Small FR boxes 0-1.5 pounds
    Regional A FR box 1.51-3 pounds
    Med FR box 3.01-7 pounds
    Priority Mail (our box) 7.01-11 pounds
    Anything above 11 pounds: no USPS options thus force to choose from Fedex offerings

USPS Express FR envelope: 0-4 pounds

All of the above have their own 'handling' charge added to the quote within the USPS K10 as well as the 'Tare' weight setup for small packages within the base zencart shipping system.

Yes, it is not perfect but we have it working for us and our products. The weight given some products is fictitious to make it fit within the parameters.

We did this once the USPS by Marco could no longer be supported and unlikely to be supported without hiring the project out.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Thanks RixStix

Ill give that a try.

Plugin Contributions

Using volume to present flat rate box options can get tricky (have to be willing to allow a buffer and be willing to something be wrong), but depending on your product mix is something totally worth it.

I hired swguy to create a stand alone, separate shipping module for this exact purpose. Try reaching out to him directly via his site.

Where the importance of the module really came into play was the switch from flat rate and regional rate to cubic boxes. Cubic pricing is typically 30%+ cheaper and you don't have to figure out whether to jump between regional and flat.