Plugin Contributions

Default Adding FaceBook hosted video content - autoplay

Using ZC 1.5.6c and recently I engaged in adding video content to my store. I chose not to use youtube video as I didn't want unsolicited ads to post after the video was viewed. So I chose Facebook video content.

There are currently 2 options from the facebook developer page ( https://developers.facebook.com/docs...-video-player/ ).
    Of the 2 options, while adding video to my defined main page.

First I chose the iframe code.

Inserts easily, no ads, however, I haven't been able to get the video to autoplay once the page loads. Any thoughts?

I next tried the SDK code snippet - I had to add a variable to the "get code" as facebook doesn't embed the autoplay option. I added the code data-autoplay="true" after the data-show-text="false" statement and it worked great. I also left the data width empty so it auto fills the allocated placement.
    NTO: building a better network thru collaboration
    www.needtoorder.com | www.coffeewitheinstein.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding FaceBook hosted video content - autoplay

How about hosting the video on your own site using the video tag
    HTML Code:
    <video width="320" height="240" controls>
    <source src="your_movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    </video>
    All commonly know video formats are possible
    Also see https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp

Plugin Contributions

IMHO, there's nothing more annoying than auto-play on websites. In the past, that was background music. Now it's video auto-play.

What makes you think I want to watch your video? What makes you think I'm in a position to watch your video? Maybe I forgot to turn the volume down, but it doesn't matter because I'm browsing an ecommerce site looking for something to buy, and all of a sudden everybody around me can hear the wonderful intro drums followed by "here's ten reasons why this oversized dragon d-i-l*d*o will change your life" while I'm in shock and hitting all the wrong buttons on my laptop to kill the sound, eventually throwing the laptop out the window and telling everyone about this awful new computer virus I must've picked up because it redirected me from my church's website to something baaaad...

I want to be in control - if I want to watch the video, I'll click the play button, it's not a big deal. If I don't want it, you shouldn't force me into it. In 99% cases, my reaction to an auto-play video on such sites is wtf? goodbye, ctrl+w

Just my 2c...
    Last edited by balihr; 7 May 2020 at 09:38 PM. Reason: best part of my post got censored :)

Plugin Contributions

I hurt myself laughing too hard at this post.

My lawyer will be in touch. :)
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Autoplay = Bad idea

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Design75 View Post
    How about hosting the video on your own site using the video tag
    HTML Code:
    <video width="320" height="240" controls>
    <source src="your_movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    </video>
    All commonly know video formats are possible
    Also see https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp
    Thanks for suggesting this... I did try to do it from hosting the video directly from my site, and I will try this snippet.. whatever I had tried previously would embed the code but not autoplay.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    IMHO, there's nothing more annoying than auto-play on websites. In the past, that was background music. Now it's video auto-play.

What makes you think I want to watch your video? What makes you think I'm in a position to watch your video? Maybe I forgot to turn the volume down, but it doesn't matter because I'm browsing an ecommerce site looking for something to buy, and all of a sudden everybody around me can hear the wonderful intro drums followed by "here's ten reasons why this oversized dragon d-i-l*d*o will change your life" while I'm in shock and hitting all the wrong buttons on my laptop to kill the sound, eventually throwing the laptop out the window and telling everyone about this awful new computer virus I must've picked up because it redirected me from my church's website to something baaaad...

I want to be in control - if I want to watch the video, I'll click the play button, it's not a big deal. If I don't want it, you shouldn't force me into it. In 99% cases, my reaction to an auto-play video on such sites is wtf? goodbye, ctrl+w

Just my 2c...
    Thanks for your 2c....

Not all video hosted has sound. In my case, its a doodle, a visual meant to grab attention... with NO SOUND!

Video, much like a logo, an animated gif, a website scroll, etc is a way to capture attention.

Think of it this way. When you want to find information on a particular business, do you use a telephone directory or google? Are you looking for a trusted local source? If using a directory (and yes, people still us them) are you looking thru the listings or the display ads? Depends on your nature, and what your process is. Yours is clearly not getting caught with the unexpected.

I'm in COMPLETE agreement with you in regards to sound and a video that autoplays... been caught by the unexpected sound blast many times.

The numbers are in, and while you didnt want to get unexpectedly outed for your shopping strategy, I bet you watched the video! ;)

Plugin Contributions

quote from an article I found dated June of 2019
    The Apple Safari 11 web browser currently disables players' "autoplay" feature by default. Although savvy listeners can re-enable the feature, most probably won't do so. As a result, the stream will not automatically play when your listeners on Safari 11 hit the "Listen Live" button.

Other web browsers are also moving in this direction; Google is expected to enact a similar "autoplay disable" on the Chrome browser soon, according to their "Unified Autoplay" policy document. Other web browsers will likely follow.
    We expect autoplay to be widely deprecated and discontinued across all browser players, as it already is with mobile apps.
    more random quotes from other pages I found
    Many browsers, particularly the most recent versions, automatically block videos from automatically playing, particularly ones with audio.
    Most mobile devices, including Apple iPhones, Apple iPads and many Android and Microsoft devices do not support the video autoplay feature so your video will not play automatically if a visitor is on one of these devices.
    Some desktop or laptop browsers also automatically block videos from automatically playing or may automatically mute the audio.
    In some cases, even when the device and browser are compatible with autoplay, the video may not start playing immediately. Typically this is because the rest of the page assets are loading or the video file is still loading or buffering. In most cases, once enough of the page content or video clip has loaded to ensure smoother viewing, the video should begin playing.
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!