Plugin Contributions

Default Column Grid Layout for Product Listing 3.1 - over ride folder?? SQL update step 1

I am looking at using the Column Grid Layout for Product Listing 3.1 plug in to allow for multple column arrangements of products.

I have not installed any thing yet.

It talks about a override folder.

I am using the responsive classic template.

The instructions say:
    You should be using your own template override folder name with the /responsive_classic files copied in.
    Example: /my_responsive_shop

This, I presume allows one to add replacement commands to override regular template features.

The first step is to update the SQL.

It says to : Add new switches to Admin -> Configuration -> Product Listing:

It talks abotu inserting some text

When I look under product isting, there is nothing.

Where is this inserted?

Thanks

Joseph

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Column Grid Layout for Product Listing 3.1 - over ride folder?? SQL update ste

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjo View Post
    I am looking at using the Column Grid Layout for Product Listing 3.1 plug in to allow for multple column arrangements of products.

I have not installed any thing yet.

It talks about a override folder.

I am using the responsive classic template.

The instructions say:
    You should be using your own template override folder name with the /responsive_classic files copied in.
    Example: /my_responsive_shop

This, I presume allows one to add replacement commands to override regular template features.

The first step is to update the SQL.

It says to : Add new switches to Admin -> Configuration -> Product Listing:

It talks abotu inserting some text

When I look under product isting, there is nothing.

Where is this inserted?

Thanks

Joseph
    Don't know if this has been addressed yet or not, but thought I would take a shot at it while I was cleaning up my web history.

First of all, yes when making template modifications (modifying how the system operates and looks when using the core code to provide results) it is best to create your own version of the template being modified. There are multiple benefits to this, when something goes wrong or doesn't look right, it is possible to revert to the original/saved template and see how things were supposed to look or operate. Also there are some changes that affect all templates and some that affect only the design template. The long term benefit is that if you use one of the basic provided templates to build your new template, well that template is likely to exist in an updated version of the program. By creating your own copy of that template, then when performing the upgrade it is possible to compare the changes that were made in the copy to the original and reproduce those in the new/upgraded template and also to do the upgrade and not fully lose the template that was modified.

So, all that, the copying of the template can be done with a plugin called Clone a Template which can be found in the plugins group. Recommendation would be to clone your version of the responsive classic template, make the clone your active template and then restore the files of the original responsive classic to whatever they were. Further understand that if a file is not found in the active template than the files of the template_default or the base version of the file (such as in includes/modules or includes/languages/YOUR_LANGUAGE) are used. So changes should not be made to those files either but instead that file should be copied to your template directory and then modified from there.

As to the listing in Admin -> Configuration -> Product Listing,
    That is a configuration menu that should already be populated by items that come with a default install. If there is nothing in that listing as stated above, then something did not happen correctly as there should be items already listed in that configuration screen. Not having items there is one of the reasons that there are questions/posting tips as even a fresh install of the software would give a list of items in that section. If it is true that nothing is displayed in that menu, please elaborate in your next post and address all of the posting tip items.

If it is that the new items that are to be available when using the plugin are not present, then more than likely there is a SQL script that needs to be executed. SQL scripts can be executed in tools->Install SQL Patches. For ZC 1.5.1 and above, the table name associated with each SQL query does not need to be updated/modified to include the database prefix (DB_PREFIX) as the software automatically adds that already. There are some issues that may occur and if receive an error associated with executing a SQL query, you will want to check the logs directory to identify what the issue is/was and rerun the associated sql query with it corrected. There is a possibility of learning a lot more in trying to execute this but the forum is here to try to help.

For more information, please provide more information about what has been done, what is being attempted and any current/recent results. Note that in trying to get such help, if additional independent actions are taken any assistance provided may be too late to address the specific issue as conditions may have improved or gotten worse based on that independent action.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...