Plugin Contributions

Default Where to enable? admin/currency_cron.php

156c
    php 7.3.17
    Server OS: Linux 3.10.0-1062.9.1.el7.x86_64
    Database Engine: MySQL 5.5.5-10.3.22-MariaDB

NOTE: In Zen Cart 1.5.5 and above, the admin/currency_cron.php facility can be used.

Is this running automatically by default and I am just not seeing subtle updates in currency?

I have searched and have not found any instructions to make currencies update automatically on some frequency. I expected to find some settings within admin: localizations: currency

I didn't see anything that looks like any setup help comments within the file. Is this something that would be considered beyond the capablilities of a non-coder user?

Where would a person go to enable this feature so that I remember to do this only after receiving an order and realizing "Oh Crap" currency hasn't been updated in a while?

Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Where to enable: NOTE: In Zen Cart 1.5.5 and above, the admin/currency_cron.php

Didn't see the "instructions" section within the file?
    Code:
          echo 'Zen Cart(tm) Currency Updater cron script.' . "\n\n";
          echo 'Usage: Create a cron job on your server, and give it the following command line:' . "\n";
          echo '       php /full/path/to/currency_cron.php' . "\n";
          echo '       php /full/path/to/currency_cron.php TZ=America/Chicago' . "\n";
          echo '       php /full/path/to/currency_cron.php -help' . "\n\n";
          echo "- May optionally add TZ=Continent/City to specify a PHP-recognized timezone \n  if your store/domain is set to a timezone other than the server default.\n";
          echo "- NOTE: Script expects to be found in your store's (renamed) admin folder. \n  Moving it to another folder will break it.\n";
          echo "- Recommend running *infrequently*, as running too often is usually unnecessary.\n  Suggest once or twice per week, or maybe once or twice per day.\n  Hourly is fine, but is rarely necessary.\n";
          echo "\n\n";
    *fingers crossed that the above doesn't look like a mess after posting*

The details of actually setting a cron job are left for "discovery" as they are likely to differ to some degree from server to server.

Basically execution of the file is a server side action of setting up cron jobs...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Where to enable: NOTE: In Zen Cart 1.5.5 and above, the admin/currency_cron.php

I didn't read that as instructions. I was looking for comments and I saw that and assumed it was some sort of screen output to be seen during setup.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

OOPS. My fingers and mouse were traveling too quickly and the text below got lost.

TNX MC12345678
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

cron scripts are traditionally run from the command-line. The built-in instructions message appears when you run it that way.

To set it up from cPanel, go to cPanel's cron page and add it, passing the actual complete path to the file:

Code:
    php /full/path/to/your_admin/currency_cron.php
    Some servers require that the "php" command at the start of the line have a full path to the php binary that the server runs. Talk to your server admin about that.

And, your server administrator will know how to do cron jobs using their environment. They can give you more specifics.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

TNX DrByte,

I will do that and ask the host to take care of things.

My original assumption was that this 'feature' had been incorporated into ZC155 and above and therefore, I was looking for a switch to enable/disable.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I added mention of it to the online docs.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks guys.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com