Plugin Contributions

Default Attempt to Create Test Domain Results in 404 error at Admin Logon

Hello,

In March, I copied our proposed webstore, eStore.marinlatinfoods.com to a testing domain, tempcart.marinlatinfoods.com. All went well. Today, I attempted the procedure again to update the test domain. All seemed well until I tried to login to the test domain admin area. When attempting login, the typed URL/domain changes from the test domain, tempcart.marinlatinfoods.com/tempcartadminfolder to the proposed webstore domain, eStore.marinlatinfoods.com/tempcartadminfolder. So the system is looking for the tempcart admin folder in the eStore domain, but the eStore domain has a differently-named admin folder. This results in landing on 404-page not found.

I assumed that I would be able to log in using the credentials copied from the eStore domain.

So that is the problem I'm having. Here is what I did. Firstly, I saved the 2 config files in the Tempcart domain. Next, I copied all contents of the eStore domain to the Tempcart domain. I then replaced the copied config files with the original config files that were in the TempCart domain. Next I copied the eStore MySQL database into the Tempcart database, preserving the Tempcart database name and user.

So I obviously overlooked something such that attempting to access the admin area of Tempcart is still pointing to the wrong domain, although the correctly-named admin folder.

Please review my efforts as explained here and let me know what I forgot to do. I'm stumped.

Thank You in Advance!
    mrsawyer

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Attempt to Create Test Domain Results in 404 error at Admin Logon

You can name your admin folder whatever you want it to be, and then enter that in your browser.

So, if you've named the admin directory "foo", then you would visit https://your_domain.com/foo/ to access the admin.
    If you named the admin directory "bizbuz" then you would visit https://your_domain.com/bizbuz/ to access the admin.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    You can name your admin folder whatever you want it to be, and then enter that in your browser.

So, if you've named the admin directory "foo", then you would visit https://your_domain.com/foo/ to access the admin.
    If you named the admin directory "bizbuz" then you would visit https://your_domain.com/bizbuz/ to access the admin.
    Hello,

Thanks for the reply, but you seem to have missed the point. The issue is not the name of the admin folder, the issue is the domain name changes to point to the eStore domain, after I've typed the Tempcart-domain/adminfolder and press enter. So, it seems I have omitted a step in the process described that will allow access to the Tempcart admin area.

Plugin Contributions

its a little confusing what you are trying to do.... i will not get into the why you trying to do what you are doing....

from the sound of it, it could be your .htacess file (are you familiar with that? do you have one?) or it could be your config files....

i would review the work in those two spots very closely.

good luck!
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    its a little confusing what you are trying to do.... i will not get into the why you trying to do what you are doing....

from the sound of it, it could be your .htacess file (are you familiar with that? do you have one?) or it could be your config files....

i would review the work in those two spots very closely.

good luck!
    Thanks for the reply Carl. I would not think that creating a copy of our store for testing would be very unusual. When I did it in March, I did not have to do anything with .htaccess, so I would not think that would be an issue now, though I will take a look at the file to see if anyone changed anything there. I have reviewed the 2 config files ad nauseum with no errors I can see. I did notice that this has happened to others in the past, but no resolutions were ever mentioned in those threads. Well, off I go to examine the .htaccess file.

Later,
    mrsawyer

Plugin Contributions

I had a similar problem. It was caused by not modifying the server name correctly in my two config.php files.
    Verify that main web server is still not pointing to the eStore path but to tempcart path.

Plugin Contributions

I found the issue. I mentioned that I preserved the 2 config files to restore after the copy. However there are 3 config files. There is one in the includes folder, one in the root of the admin folder, and another in the includes folder inside the admin folder. I had forgotten to configure the one inside the includes folder in the admin folder. All is well now.
    Thanks to all who tried to help!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mrsawyer View Post
    I found the issue. I mentioned that I preserved the 2 config files to restore after the copy. However there are 3 config files. There is one in the includes folder, one in the root of the admin folder, and another in the includes folder inside the admin folder. I had forgotten to configure the one inside the includes folder in the admin folder. All is well now.
    Thanks to all who tried to help!
    really? 3 config files? sorry that is just incorrect. there are 2 configure.php files and both are in their respective includes directories.

not sure what you are looking at, and how many other extra files you may have.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

There well could be three configure.php files in the filesystem. There could be however many the file system could support, but there are only two that matter. The identified one extra likely was part of the copy/backup process that was performed only in part.

It came down to what is routinely suggested for a system where one side (catalog or admin) works as expected but the other side doesn't. Comparing the two files (includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php) looking for unexplainable differences or those differences that seem to lead to the identified issue(s).

Unfortunately there are those in the previously reviewed threads that may not post the simple/obvious solution for any of a number of reasons, too much trouble, too obvious, ashamed, pride, forgot, moved on, other fish, etc... :) but... at least this thread has the reason identified, so keep up the good work!
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Most likely confusing the admin/configuration.php with admin/includes/configure.php
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!