Plugin Contributions

Default Waiting on shipping rate quote servers

Why is a white page displayed while waiting for shipping rate quote servers?

Example is today the fedex rate quotes were taking 20 to 45 seconds and all the customer sees is a blank white screen during that time. USPS rate quote servers were adding another 5 seconds or so.

Wouldn't a better choice be to render the page with a spinner or something displayed adjacent to the culprit rate quote values? At least the customer would have an indication of a delay.

We were contacted by 2 customers today asking why the cart was crashing. With orders as few and far between nowdays, abandoned orders are the last thing anyone needs.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Waiting on shipping rate quote servers

FWIW, I don't remember that white page prior to installing 156c but I do remember fedex rate quote servers increasing parse time occasionally.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    FWIW, I don't remember that white page prior to installing 156c but I do remember fedex rate quote servers increasing parse time occasionally.
    Important to identify the comparison point of reference, is this wait time different then from 1.5.6b or saying as compared to 1.5.5f? Or perhaps 1.5.1???

As to why the white screen, there is script code that is responsible for removing the css that hides the page which is to load after a certain amount of "work" has been done. As I recall it relates to a class called "nofouc" I could be wrong though, I just remember it is something along those lines.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Important to identify the comparison point of reference, is this wait time different then from 1.5.6b or saying as compared to 1.5.5f? Or perhaps 1.5.1???

As to why the white screen, there is script code that is responsible for removing the css that hides the page which is to load after a certain amount of "work" has been done. As I recall it relates to a class called "nofouc" I could be wrong though, I just remember it is something along those lines.
    Point of reference is 154 to 156c. I don't ever remember seeing a blank white screen for the customer to watch while waiting on the shipping rate quote servers to start responding.

Are you saying there is script, by design, to cause a blank white page while waiting on the shipping rate quote servers?
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    Point of reference is 154 to 156c. I don't ever remember seeing a blank white screen for the customer to watch while waiting on the shipping rate quote servers to start responding.

Are you saying there is script, by design, to cause a blank white page while waiting on the shipping rate quote servers?
    I am not saying that the issue specifically targets shipping, but that there is script that prevents the display of the page until the page is ready... Delivery of shipping quotes takes part in that "preparation". And I was a little off with the class designation, it is "no-fouc". Essentially on initial page load the document is identified as having that class, then later down the line, the class is removed.

So specifically:

in includes/templates/responsive_classic/common/html_header.php
    there is:
    Code:
     <script type="text/javascript">document.documentElement.className = 'no-fouc';</script>
    Which makes the screen go blank based on the css in:
    includes/templates/responsive_classic/css/stylesheet.css
    Code:
    .no-fouc {display: none;}
    Which is *not* overridden with something specific for checkout_shipping.

The class is then cleared/removed by loading of:

includes/templates/responsive_classic/jscript/jscript_responsive_framework.php

Code:
    $('.no-fouc').removeClass('no-fouc');
    To have checkout_shipping behave "differently" then would need something additional. It seems to me though that this "delay" in loading whether it causes a white screen or just the page to load slowly is one reason why some have chosen to have shipping estimates only available on the popup type page so that other navigation can occur while shipping data is being retrieved...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, wrong button

It is actually the "Login" process that occurs when the "Checkout" button is clicked that causes the white screen related to shipping rate quote servers.

Same response regardless of OPC or built-in checkout process.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com