Plugin Contributions

Default Cannot Login to Admin

My client has been complaining the the forget password function has not been working. In that it sends and e-mail with a temporary password, but once he adds a new password it says: Password Expired - You entered the wrong username or password. So I have just been resetting his password for the past year or so for him as Zen Cart asks to update the password each time.

Well today, out of the blue I could not login with my normal password. So I went through he forget password function. Same exact issue as my client. I hit the reset password link, I get an instant e-mail with a temporary password. I quickly login with that temporary password, it asks for a new password (7 characters, letters and numbers) OK that should work. But then I get also this error:

Password Expired - You entered the wrong username or password. This is happening with brand new temporary password that was sent to me in an e-mail.

Now the only 2 accounts in this installation and we are both locked out. How can I gain entry into my account? Can I do a simple PHP MyAdmin tweak via hosting control panel to gain entry. This is an annoying problem. Please advise.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zen_login_issue.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	19035

[Note: remember to include site URL, ZC version, list of plugins, PHP version, etc ... read the Posting Tips shown above for information to include in your post here. And, remove this comment before actually posting!]
    Building a better web, one site at a time: Dayton Web Design

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Cannot Login to Admin

That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

I searched for a bit and didn't find that documentation nor see it previously. Much needed! Thank you SW guy for steering me in the right direction.

Plugin Contributions

The documentation provided did work in that I am now able to login as Admin. After access to admin area, I had to reset the password immediately to something other than admin which was fine. But now, I went back to my regular username: MYUSERNAME and reset the password directly in the admin area to attempt give me access to my original user account once again. I received the green success message that the password updated properly. But when I try and login with the new password (that showed it updated successfully) I now get a wrong password error and denied.

This happened after 3 attempts. That is I reset the password in Admin but try and login and but it won't let me. Now, how can I modify my original user account and make the new password stick? So I can then remove the Admin account. I suspect I will be using this Admin access often now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zen_login_issue2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	19037

Plugin Contributions

Delete the old account and add it again. Something is stuck.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sports guy View Post
    The documentation provided did work in that I am now able to login as Admin. After access to admin area, I had to reset the password immediately to something other than admin which was fine. But now, I went back to my regular username: MYUSERNAME and reset the password directly in the admin area to attempt give me access to my original user account once again. I received the green success message that the password updated properly. But when I try and login with the new password (that showed it updated successfully) I now get a wrong password error and denied.

This happened after 3 attempts. That is I reset the password in Admin but try and login and but it won't let me. Now, how can I modify my original user account and make the new password stick? So I can then remove the Admin account. I suspect I will be using this Admin access often now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zen_login_issue2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	19037
    i'm a little confused. you say the problem has been going on for a year, and yet you are identifying the version of ZC as 157? something is wrong there.

if looks like the password field's length was modified in v155. are you sure the table has the correct field lengths?
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

SW guy, thank you that worked, much relief!

Carlwhat, I couldn't look up the version since I didn't have access to the admin, so I took a guess. I chose my version selection based upon me thinking I had the latest version. After logging in, I found that the version is actually v1.5.6c. I also believe, this issue was happening with my client before I upgraded to the c version. This password reset issue for my client might have been happening around a year and a half instead of a year. A long time. And I have no clue as to what version he might have been on when it started because his site was outdated and I updated late last year. My client lacks basic computer skills to put it lightly so I thought maybe it was his fault that he couldn't work the password reset button. When it happened to me, then I assumed he was right all along and his password reset option wasn't working.

I don't know if my field length was off, I always copy and paste my password from my login file. But perhaps something happened during my upgrade late last year. Although, I was able to login successfully for months and I didn't make any recent changes to bring up that corruption issue today.

Plugin Contributions

Did the password have special characters such as '&', '<', and/or '>'?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

The actual password has nothing to do with it. He was still locked out because of the last failure.
    This has been resolved in 1.5.7.

Plugin Contributions

FYI No special characters. Numbers, letter, caps and lower case, over 7 characters.