Plugin Contributions

Default unlimited downloads

Am I correct that, while you can set the Expiry days for the download attribute to 0 for no time limit on download, you can not set the Maximum download count to 0 for unlimited number of times it can downloaded? Is setting this to a large number the best way to allow customers to download their file as many times as they need?

Thanks! (I did read the FAQ and do an amount of searching before posting this, so apologies if this has been covered).
    Ellie Armsby

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: unlimited downloads

The help for Admin > Configuration > Attribute Settings

https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/admin...ibutesettings/

shows that for Number of Downloads Allowed - Per Product, 0 means no download authorized.

So go with a large number.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks! That's the conclusion I had come to.
    Ellie Armsby

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I think the max-days = 0 means unlimited both for unlimited days and unlimited number of downloads. I suppose maybe it might then show a confusing "number remaining" though.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    I think the max-days = 0 means unlimited both for unlimited days and unlimited number of downloads. I suppose maybe it might then show a confusing "number remaining" though.
    Rarely wrong, and holds true for this, code beginning in ZC 1.5.6 supports setting max-days = 0 to be unlimited days and unlimited downloads (though the counter continues to decrease from whatever it originally/last was on each download). By the discussion of a confusing display, referring to what the admin would see, correct? Because the customer sees that there are an unlimited number of downloads available.

Personally, if I were making something to have an unlimited number of downloads, but wanted to track by "whom", then I would set both to 0 so that when viewing the customer/order information I'd know/be able to tell how many times it had been downloaded based on how negative the number was... Otherwise would have to keep in mind what the original quantity was and to then identify how many times it had been downloaded would require subtracting the current from the original. E.g. if originally it was set to 3 downloads and the current value was -1 the it would indicate 4 had been downloaded, but if it was originally set to 0 then the number of downloads "remaining" would be -4.

Why I say to "remember" the value is that I don't believe I recall seeing data collected to indicate what the original number available was. As such, the file when "now" purchased" could have a different number of download opportunities available than when it was "previously" purchased...

If anything, I missed this feature addition which is nice to have (unlimited downloads based on an item being available for download an unlimited number of days). Of course there may still be those that may want to implement a specific quantity of times to download but over an unlimited number of days which can be handled through notifier/observer operations.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...