Plugin Contributions

Default php 7.3 "PHP Fatal error: Directive 'asp_tags' is no longer available"

I upgraded zencart from v139 to v157 successfully when php is set to version 5.x (all versions). Successful meaning the website pulls up and I can login to the admin account, make changes, etc. As soon as I change the php to any version of 7.x, I am getting a 500 internal error when trying to pull up the website. I can still access the admin account. I am a little lost as to how to diagnose why. The website server is showing the following error: "PHP Fatal error: Directive 'asp_tags' is no longer available in PHP in Unknown on line 0" and references the index.php. I have reviewed the php.ini file for any reference to asp and there isn't any. Looking at the index.php at the root of my website appears to by php 7.x compliant. Any thoughts as to where to look further for trying to figure out why the website works on php 5.x and not 7.x?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: internal server error using php 7.3

There is no reference to asp_tags anywhere in 1.5.7. Perhaps this is something your hoster can help with?
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.

Plugin Contributions

What software from the old install was carried over to this new install? How did the install/upgrade go where the fresh new software without any modifications was installed and tested before applying the old database and/or any previous plugins?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...
    Upgraded to Zen Cart V1.5.3 from V1.5.1 from V1.5.0 from V1.3.9h

Plugin Contributions

I contacted my hosting company (dotster) and they of course said "nothing wrong" on their end, must be zencart... I might try contacting them again, and maybe a difference person will have better knowledge. Regardless, I felt I should post here.
    As far as my install and carryover, I created a new directory/website with v157 copying over both config.php (with modification for directory and url) as well as images and template. I tested the website before the final move and was having the same issue with the php but I thought maybe because there was still issue with simultaneous running v139. I was more concerned with getting zencart upgraded

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: php 7.3 "PHP Fatal error: Directive 'asp_tags' is no longer available"

asp_tags is an old setting that older versions of PHP supported at one time. That support was officially discontinued with PHP 7.0

If it was enabled in code on your site then you might locate it in the following ways:

.htaccess directives:
    php_flag asp_tags on (or off, or 0 or 1)

ini_set statements:
    ini_set('asp_tags', 1) (or 0, or on or off)

ASP short-open tags:
    <%, %>, <%=

script tags:
    <script language="php">

So, I recommend doing a search of all files on your server (not just Zen Cart) for anything that contains any of the 4 following:
    asp_tags
    language="php" (using single and double quote variants)
    <%
    %>

Any code that was actually using the asp_tags feature will of course no longer function as intended, so you would need to rewrite those things.

You may also want to compare all your site files against original Zen Cart code to identify every way in which your Zen Cart code is different from original files, as that will give you cues to identifying which files may need special attention.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: php 7.3 "PHP Fatal error: Directive 'asp_tags' is no longer available"

You are absolutely right about it being so old but that is the message given. I was able to contact my website hosting company and I got ahold of a new person who was very knowledgeable however didn't have the abilities to resolve but is able to escalate to a "higher" level. She felt pretty confident that it is something they can/will fix... but we will see. I don't guess this will be a quick thing, but I will keep you all updated.

I have looked relentlessly at all possible files that might have any reference to asp or <%, etc. and don't find any. I have to admit I am a little blurry eyed and may have overlooked, but I also feel pretty confident.

Again, we will see what comes back from the escalated case.

Plugin Contributions

Have you tried using the Developer's Toolkit? That might be able to find something.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.