Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Installer Problem with Upgrade button

I am attempting to upgrade to v1.5.7 from v1.5.4. Installed the unzipped v1.5.7 files into a test directory within public_html folder. Edited the includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php files to reflect db credentials and then run the installer php file but only the clean install button displays I can't get the upgrade button to display.

Are the instructions/procedure for the upgrade for 1.5.7 different than the instructions located here:
    https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/upgra...led_upgrading/
    John

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installer Problem with Upgrade button

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBuckle View Post
    I am attempting to upgrade to v1.5.7 from v1.5.4. Installed the unzipped v1.5.7 files into a test directory within public_html folder. Edited the includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php files to reflect db credentials
    Would normally suggest putting the test above the root and name it _test for security.

You do not need to do anything to the configure files on a new install. The system will propagate them for you.

You will not get an upgrade button on any new install. The upgrade option in zc_install is only available IF/AFTER you have brought in an older database backup.

https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/first...t-using-cpanel is a good start but I need to add about keeping an existing site running while upgrading. You may not need to do the _test folder but it would allow you to set a higher PHP level for the new site.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Would normally suggest putting the test above the root and name it _test for security.

You do not need to do anything to the configure files on a new install. The system will propagate them for you.

You will not get an upgrade button on any new install. The upgrade option in zc_install is only available IF/AFTER you have brought in an older database backup.

https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/first...t-using-cpanel is a good start but I need to add about keeping an existing site running while upgrading. You may not need to do the _test folder but it would allow you to set a higher PHP level for the new site.
    I started over and copied the old running site into the test directory then the 1.5.7 files into the same. I am still not seeing the upgrade button but that was with config files I edited. Going to reupload the config files as unzipped and see if that fixes it. I also copied my existing .htacess files from the previous store into the test directory as the test directory had none in the root folder. I am getting these messages:

System Inspection

TIP: More information may be available by clicking on the titles of some errors and warnings.
    An existing configure.php file was found, indicating a pre-existing installation.
    Some Other Issues:

For maximum security and compatibility you should be using PHP 7.3 or newer. This installation can proceed, but note that your site will not be PCI Compliant when running out-of-date software.
    Consult the PHP Website for specifics.
    For more information about version compatibility and server requirements see Zen Cart Server Requirements

Support for ".htaccess" files is not enabled or is not operating correctly.
    [ NOTE: If you are using Nginx, continue to the END of this Installation Wizard for information on resolving this issue. ]
    John

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBuckle View Post
    I started over and copied the old running site into the test directory then the 1.5.7 files into the same. I am still not seeing the upgrade button but that was with config files I edited. Going to reupload the config files as unzipped and see if that fixes it. I also copied my existing .htacess files from the previous store into the test directory as the test directory had none in the root folder. I am getting these messages:
    I don't know where you are getting the idea that ANY of these things was necessary. Nothing in my post suggested that these things be done. You're trying to change tires on your vehicle while doing 65MPH through the I20 - I85 interchange.

If you continue to do other than what folks on the forum suggest, we are not going to be able to help. You'll just continue to make the hole deeper and wider.

No one will EVER tell you to mess with a working site during upgrade.

No one will ever endorse the early 1.5.x method of messing with either configure.php files. They are created by running zc_install.

There is no need to copy, create, delete, include, adjust, mangle, etc. ANY files on an install. Load the files and run the zc_install.

Please read sentence three of my post again.

Plugin Contributions

If you want to do an upgrade but the Upgrade button doesn't show, in all likelihood it's one of two things: in your includes/configure.php file, either DB_DATABASE is wrong, or DB_PREFIX is wrong.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Re: Installer Problem with Upgrade button
    https://www.zen-cart.com/images/icons/icon1.png Re: Installer Problem with Upgrade button

https://www.zen-cart.com/images/styl...quote_icon.png Originally Posted by dbltoe https://www.zen-cart.com/images/styl...post-right.png
    I don't know where you are getting the idea that ANY of these things was necessary. Nothing in my post suggested that these things be done. You're trying to change tires on your vehicle while doing 65MPH through the I20 - I85 interchange.

If you continue to do other than what folks on the forum suggest, we are not going to be able to help. You'll just continue to make the hole deeper and wider.

No one will EVER tell you to mess with a working site during upgrade.

No one will ever endorse the early 1.5.x method of messing with either configure.php files. They are created by running zc_install.

There is no need to copy, create, delete, include, adjust, mangle, etc. ANY files on an install. Load the files and run the zc_install.

Please read sentence three of my post again.

I am trying to do an UPGRADE not a new install and following the instructions for upgrading in the zen-cart-v1.5.7-06232020/docs/2.readme_how_to_upgrade.html

1. Back up your site from the server as well as the copy on your computer. DONE
    2. Backup your database DONE
    3. Create a new directory and copy your site into it DONE
    4. Then create a new database and load your old database in it DONE
    5. Next, change the two configure.php files to utilize the new directory and database This way … when you attempt to upgrade you are “practicing” to see where the problems, if any will happen DONE
    6. Make sure all appears to be working on your temp site. DONE all works except PayPal button in checkout
    7. Now load the “new” version files to your new temp directory from latest downloaded ZIP DONE loaded ALL the 1.5.7 files
    8. Run the http://www.yoursite.com/zc_install Did this step but the upgrade button does not display.

I have followed these steps above so what am I doing wrong?
    John

Plugin Contributions

#3 created the directory "temp" right?
    Then #8 should be yoursite.com/temp/zc_install.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/upgra...orary-database
    If the “Upgrade” button does not appear, then the installer was unable to connect to your database to determine its version. Check your configure.php settings and be sure the DB_* fields correspond to your new database, including that the DB_PREFIX matches the DB_PREFIX in your old site.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Until this last post, the OP (original post'er) has never given any indication of doing step 4. And, even with all matching DB info, you will not get an upgrade button until zc_install sees an earlier version in the DB tables. Thus my

Plugin Contributions

I did step 4 every time. The one thing I wasn't previously doing was copying my old site to the new test site before uploading the new zc files. I did this the last go round and still no upload button but I tested the old site in the new test folder before installing the new zc files and the site worked minus the PayPal button in the cart/checkout.

Dumb question comes to mind...after uploading and testing the old site in the new test folder, do you then upload ALL of the new zc files into the new test folder or just the files that have been changed from the last version(s)? (Now load the “new” version files to your new temp directory from latest downloaded ZIP)
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast