Plugin Contributions

Default Pop-Up Invitation on Home Page

Hello,

The owner of our site (canemasters.com) mentioned going on a site that employed a pop-up invitation on the home page for a call to action (like join our group, create an account etc.) and receive a premium; the visitor can also opt to bypass the pop-up and continue to the home page. Is there a Zencart plug in that offers this feature?

Thanks,

Steve

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Pop-Up Invitation on Home Page

I am not aware of a pop up that comes in the Zen-Cart default, but it could always be added to the site either by creating yourself or using the many commercial options, some of which are free floating around online.

If you are not well versed in code, want a free option, and want an option that is pretty lightweight with lots of options, I would recommend sumo.com

Plugin Contributions

Assuming you are looking for auto pop’s..

Popups and pop under are one of the most missed used code on the net and easy to get. Pop under used mostly on the dark net for ad page loads. Pop over which is basically the same except for on top of the main window. Most of which are blocked by most common browsers today. Pop in’s are not easy to get blocked by browsers, can lead to site abandonment when missed used or abused.

I have a strong dislike for auto popups for any reason… even cookie ad’s.

There’s no auto popups in the download section, but you can Google for many of them.

ZC comes with popups. You can copy and create new ones. I use jquery ColorBox for all my popup, images, privacy info, auction agreement and newsletter sign up. You can even use CSS to create a simple popup to defeat browsers.

I use popups to make it easy for someone to get info, ask a question, or get help without leaving the page they are on. Creating an eye catching image or banner that leads to a popup is possible by copying existing popup code and changing it to your needs.
    Dave
    Always forward thinking... Lost my mind!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Great suggestions already mentioned above.

Additionally, most mailing-list services such as Mailchimp provide an option to create a popup that you can easily add to your store to ask people to sign up, and then you can email them a code immediately as the first/welcome message you send when joining that particular list.

The code snippet can be put into a file that will automatically load on every page:
    /includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE_DIRECTORY_NAME_HERE/jscript/jscript_signup_popup.php

You could just paste the snippet in that file as received.

You could optionally include some PHP code (above the snippet) to control what pages it shows on, such as:
    Code:
    <?php
    if ($this_is_home_page != true) return;
    ?>
    <script..... popup code snippet here ..../script>
    But I agree: I hate popups. They interrupt my navigation flow and I feel like you're trying to manipulate me, including forcing me to do something "you" want instead of letting me shop for what "I" want.

I'd rather you put a banner message that shows the coupon code across the top. (You could conditionally show it only if I haven't made a purchase before, or only if I'm not logged in (eg: an existing customer).)

I'd rather you demonstrated that you care about helping me find what I'm looking for, instead of shoving a message in my face that I have to cancel in order to even decide if your website has something I want. Better to make your products rich in content descriptions and vibrant images and categorized well.

If you've finally convinced me to put the product into my shopping-basket, then you could display a coupon on *that* page as an incentive to complete my purchase. That would have multiplied impact on me as a purchaser. I would have feelings of being respected and enjoying the shopping experience .... unlike popups which instantly evoke hatred for the site.

Just my 2 cents.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.