Plugin Contributions

Default help to properly setup/install SSL GoDaddy certificate on MAMP Pro for new 1.5.7

Hi Guys,

I'm updating my 1.5.5a site.
    I decided to start from fresh, purchase a Theme Forest YourStore 157 theme-use their full 157 install, load in my products and fine-tune the updated site with only 'me' as the customer for now.
    It's all working beautifully locally and externally under my domain name and localhost on my iMac with both MAMP Pro and AMPPS (both current versions).
    Using the latest mySQL with PHP 7.3x in both environments.

The only thing I just can't set up is my GoDaddy SSL certificate...specially in MAMP Pro.
    I'm using port 8888 and their local certificate on SSL port 8889, and they both work.

I went to GoDaddy and downloaded a copy of certs that is installed on the LIVE website computer in my house on macOS Server El Capitan, but I can't get them to be seen in MAMP Pro on the test iMac, no matter where I place the certs.
    I know I'm trying to play with both the live and test sites (on 2 local computers) with the same certs, but it's the last piece of the puzzle to test before I move in my customers and set the site to live. And it's different ports with 443 on the live computer and 8889 on the test computer.

Does anyone else have a similar working environment with an external SSL in MAMP Pro and is getting it to work live?

I've come a long way with websites through the years, but I'm self-taught, so if I could get clear instructions on an SSL install, I'd be so appreciative.

thank you,
    Jeff
    Jeff Michaels,
    pres of Musical Creations Ltd.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: help to properly setup/install SSL GoDaddy certificate on MAMP Pro for new 1.5.7

If your SSL cert is correctly installed already on your live site, don't bother with testing it on a local dev site.

Testing Zen Cart on a local dev environment has nothing at all to do with whether an SSL cert is valid on the live site. They are completely unrelated matters.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: help to properly setup/install SSL GoDaddy certificate on MAMP Pro for new 1.5.7

Hi Dr Byte,

Yes I understand they are unrelated matters. As I will be decommissioning by old Mac Pro when the old website is disabled, I was hoping to use the exact same certificate to test it with MAMP Pro on another computer in my network over ports 8888,8889...just to see if it works, not to test the actual website workings. I was able to reach the http 8888 website fine under my domain (with port mapping to the new iMac test site), but I couldn't get the https over 8889 to the iMac to work with my GoDaddy certificate copied from the mac pro old site. I'm trying to sneak it to get both to run at the same time and only add the port number to my address to view the new secure website from the outside. I can't figure out where to put the GoDaddy certificates AND/OR if I'm supposed to send a new CSR to GoDaddy and create new certificates. If I have to do that, then of course I would have to wait until I retire the old site. I was hoping I could use the same one as I can't put the new site on the Mac Pro in tandem because I'm using updated PHP and mySQL. Any additional thoughts?
    Last edited by jeffmic; 2 Oct 2020 at 05:00 PM.
    Jeff Michaels,
    pres of Musical Creations Ltd.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

While this isn't an answer to all your questions, I note this:
    If the certificate you already have is valid for many more months, then you probably don't need a new CSR etc. Its files can be applied to any server with a vhost/config for the domain names supported by the certificate.

As for installing it on MAMP, I don't recall anything specific about it. I haven't used MAMP in many years.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.