Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: About page

I see what you mean but I'm wondering why EZPages was given as a solution? That causes it having to go there, then back to Information to get propagated. I guess the EZPages solution may seem easier but certainly has it running an extra step every time.

Plugin Contributions

I don't understand your question. There's no extra step. He's built an EZ Page, and a link to that page has been added to the list of links in the Information Sidebox. This is pretty much the lowest code solution available to solve the OP's requirement.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

But that is what I did unless I'm not seeing the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Take a look at https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/sideb...ation_sidebox/

You need to do more than just make one file.
    Per the link:

If the link is to an internal EZ-Page, use
    Code:
    $content .= '<li><a href="' . zen_href_link(FILENAME_EZPAGES,'id=9') . '">' . "My new page" . '</a></li>';

Quote Originally Posted by plc613 View Post
    I got it. So in https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/sideb...ation_sidebox/

The code shows:
    Code:
    $content .= '<a href="' . zen_href_link(FILENAME_EZPAGES,'id=9') . '">' . "My new page" . '</a>';
    For EZ pages but if you look carefully you can see that that above (in the URL) the code is wrapped with list tags ie <li> So the correct code is actually:
    Code:
    $content .= '<li><a href="' . zen_href_link(FILENAME_EZPAGES,'id=2') . '">' . "About Us" . '</a></li>' . "\n";
    Otherwise the EZ page will be listed but will not be part of the enumerated list.
    The encapsulated list tags were not there yesterday or someone added them (or the links were different!?)

Plugin Contributions

Take a look at https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/sideb...ation_sidebox/

You need to do more than just make one file.
    Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    I don't understand your question. There's no extra step. He's built an EZ Page, and a link to that page has been added to the list of links in the Information Sidebox. This is pretty much the lowest code solution available to solve the OP's requirement.
    Pretty sure he means the page information is being pulled from "information" and then from EZ pages. hence roundabout way. But I don't see the explanation being different unless he intended me to create a page and then simply reference it directly in the information tpl skipping the EZ page process?

Plugin Contributions

@plc613 said
    > For EZ pages .. the code is wrapped with list tags
    Yep, you're right - this will be fixed in the next update to that page.

@dbltoe said
    > The link I gave you earlier in post#7 was the correct process to use ...
    You're both right - I was updating the page in real time as I was answering the question, and the later examples (after your post #7) were abbreviated, which meant they couldn't be used with copy and paste.
    Hadn't seen this...

Moving along, for the mobile side, I see the block from line 87 to 123. Do I simply copy the file to override and insert my EZ page link in the same manner as I did the tpl information file?

Plugin Contributions

I see what you mean but I'm wondering why EZPages was given as a solution? That causes it having to go there, then back to Information to get propagated. I guess the EZPages solution may seem easier but certainly has it running an extra step every time.
    I wonder if perhaps I had chosen to manually add a define page in the information sidebox if the mobile friendly version wouldn't require additional steps? And if at the same time, I'm reducing processing by not calling the data through the EZ pages then perhaps those are enough reason to choose the first method suggested in the doc?

Plugin Contributions

I really want to get this right b/c I'm adding another section for expert interviews.

Plugin Contributions

You can walk from your house to your mailbox MANY ways. Especially if it's a mile away like mine. You still get there.

Just make notes of what you did so you can carry the changes over during upgrade. Anything done in a core file that is not available to be saved as an override will be lost at upgrade.

Get a copy of lat9's Overrides Cheatsheet. Great tool when doing something like this. Helps you see where you can and can't ovrride.

Plugin Contributions

You can walk from your house to your mailbox MANY ways. Especially if it's a mile away like mine. You still get there.

Just make notes of what you did so you can carry the changes over during upgrade. Anything done in a core file that is not available to be saved as an override will be lost at upgrade.

Get a copy of lat9's Overrides Cheatsheet. Great tool when doing something like this. Helps you see where you can and can't ovrride.
    Oh yeah. I wouldn't disagree with that. I'm just trying to apply a minimalist approach to the site so as to mitigate as much work as possible during upgrades. I juggle a lot of jobs and this is just one of them. So for me, it's the shortest path that will ensure the work is well done and repeatable; not just the shortest and most certainly not the longest.

Plugin Contributions

So for a blog/interview/article page(s) I'm looking at News Box Manager. Knowing I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, should I do that or manually add a page under information for every article I want to post?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast