Plugin Contributions

Default Default currency setting

I'm located (and strictly operate) in Canada. I use square for payment module. I just took an order and am struggling to figure why it appears as though the currency was converted to USD. I'm really not making heads or tails here so please forgive me if the details see sketchy. Here's what I think it could be:

I thought I followed the ZC guide to the T and do not remember at any point going to set the "default currency". Be that as it may, If a customer has a Canadian address, wouldn't zc charge the appropriate currency despite the "default" setting? I suspect it did but then when submitting the info to square zc told square to convert the funds to USD!?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Default currency setting

you will be able to set default currency in ZC admin control panel and language file and as option you be able to setup that depends on customer location they will be able to checkout in default currency for their country or show prices in CAD and checkout in USD, simply need to modify the code.
    - Freelance Software Developer

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If your store is in Canada, and your Square account is set to use a Location that has a Canadian address and collects funds in CAD
    then it would be sensible to set your store's default currency to CAD if your prices are in CAD.
    When changing default currency you should also set its exchange rate value to "1.0000".

If you are not intending to let shoppers see prices converted to another currency equivalent, then delete the currencies which you do not intend to let them select.
    Most stores never need to have more than one currency present. Delete all the others, leaving just your actual one, and set its rate to 1.0000

With a single currency set in your store, which matches the currency of your Square (or whatever payment provider) primary currency, customers will be charged in your currency but will see the affected exchange rate value on their credit card statement.

I recommend that approach.

If for some reason you really want to let shoppers pick from multiple currencies, then you will need to maintain the exchange rate from time to time. There will be some small discrepancy in the value seen on the shopper's credit card vs the value you displayed as the "converted" currency equivalent. The amounts will never exactly match due to exchange rate practices being different with every bank.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by web-project View Post
    you will be able to set default currency in ZC admin control panel and language file and as option you be able to setup that depends on customer location they will be able to checkout in default currency for their country or show prices in CAD and checkout in USD, simply need to modify the code.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    If your store is in Canada, and your Square account is set to use a Location that has a Canadian address and collects funds in CAD
    then it would be sensible to set your store's default currency to CAD if your prices are in CAD.
    When changing default currency you should also set its exchange rate value to "1.0000".

If you are not intending to let shoppers see prices converted to another currency equivalent, then delete the currencies which you do not intend to let them select.
    Most stores never need to have more than one currency present. Delete all the others, leaving just your actual one, and set its rate to 1.0000

With a single currency set in your store, which matches the currency of your Square (or whatever payment provider) primary currency, customers will be charged in your currency but will see the affected exchange rate value on their credit card statement.

I recommend that approach.

If for some reason you really want to let shoppers pick from multiple currencies, then you will need to maintain the exchange rate from time to time. There will be some small discrepancy in the value seen on the shopper's credit card vs the value you displayed as the "converted" currency equivalent. The amounts will never exactly match due to exchange rate practices being different with every bank.
    Thank you both for your response. So that's inline with what I suspected. I will take the recommended approach. I find it really odd that with all my $1 tests I never caught that the currency was being converted but I suppose since I wasn't looking for that I didn't catch it.